Diy metal halide/shop light/any light hanger

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
31.00 150w Pendant with mounting kit
41.00 Sunpod 150wballast
15.00 10k 150w mh de bulb
10.00 for two rails
0.00 hanging arms(had 6 spare)
0.00 hacked up computer power supply cable to wire ballast

1. Find center of the tank (side to side and front to back), measure size of light fixture.

2. Mount rails same distance apart as your light fixture (12inch fixture, 12inches apart).

3. Measure equal length chain/cable/rope. Snap in!

4. Plug it in done!

Notes:
-Can be used with any fixture would be great for shop lights, could hold a shelf on top also. Was going to put the ballast up there but changed my mind.
-Have at least 2 levels, a magnetic one is nice. Try your best to get the tops of the rails level with each other and make sure you mount them to the wall securely!

-They sell 8foot rails so you could light multiple tanks if you have an open back style stand.

Pros: Easy to lower or raise lights, cheap, no mounting to ceiling, optional shelf on top of each set of arms, can hold a decent amount of weight, durable and coated so it will resist rust.

Cons: Tank must be near wall, must be near socket or use an extension cord, comes in white,

Thoughts welcome good or bad! thanks all

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0008 (2).JPG DSC_0011 (2).JPG

mrouse

Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Have been looking into a DIY hanging kit...I like your idea...Whats the name of the white rails and hanging arms and where did you get them?

EOD

AC Members
Sep 12, 2010
Schofield Barracks, HI
Real Name
David
That would solve all of my problems. I can't buy anymore tanks because I have nowhere to put them. I'll just COVER THE WALLS!! HEHEHEHE. Nah, I'm pretty sure military housing would frown at that...how is it all done? How much can it support?

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
you know... no matter how many times i look at this setup i can't stop thinking it would probably look quite a bit nicer if the setup was taken down, spray painted flat black, dried and put back up.

either way, i like it. it's a good solution that lets you control your lighting without holes in the ceiling. good thinking, and thanks for sharing.

nguyendetecting

Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
yeah I thought about painting it also. But paint would fill the grooves making adjustment harder not to mention chip the paint. It's already a nice glossy white, I would have to sand it for adhesion.

Also my man room is painted blue... With white tile and white trim and white door. Black just wouldn't fit with my setup. The kit comes in gray though, which would look real clean also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store