Goldfish white spots, fin rot dilemma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frieser

Registered Member
Nov 26, 2010
Hi everyone! I have joined AquariaCentral after reading through this thread and being surprised at how knowledgeable all the participants are.

I have a comet/fantail afflicted with exactly the same symptoms as Geekboy's two fish were in the thread above, although my fish's symptoms are not quite as severe. I hope you could provide some input on this situation, as well as general thoughts on what I should be doing differently about running my tank.

My set up is a 30 gallon /110L tank you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmNem5Z4MQs

I have one goldie and one pleco in it. The filter is a fluval 300 canister. There are two plants and quite a bit of substrate on the bottom.

I must come clean and admit that I am not the biggest fan of fish as pets, and the veiltail is a fish I inherited/rescued from my ex who tried keeping it in a bowl about 3.5 years ago. I had it in progressively larger tanks since then. This tank has been re-cycled and doing okay since i moved in May 2010.
I had the pleco for a year maybe year and a half.

My general attitude has been to provide a stable and comfortable environment to the fish while avoiding having to do too much maintenance and cleaning. So I do weekly 10-20% water changes, and clean the filter every month or two, which seemed to work great and fish were looking and acting happier than I am most of the time :rolleyes:

The symptoms of fin rot and whitish spots/boils on the tail of my goldie began about 3 months ago, and have been getting worse, then receding several times since. I have done the usual circuit of agressive water changes, adding aquarium salt, dosing with parasite clear, and melafin dosing. The water quality consistently and rutinely comes up excellent with 0 nitrites and 0-5ppm (nearly no detectable) nitrates.

Is there anything you would recommend at this point? I want to get my goldie's tail back to looking as marvelous as it has all its life! :)

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
First of all, my hats off to you for doing such good job of rescuing/raising this beautiful creature..

I really cant tell for sure but it does not seem that bad.
Any visible fine red blood vessels on the tail/fins?
My first thought with such is possible prolonged exposure to low pH and its effects on water chemistry.

pH/NH3/NO2 readings of both tank & tap possible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store