20 gallon planted tank journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amazonadam

AC Members
Nov 13, 2010
United States
Real Name
Adam
Hi all! I just got a 20 gallon high tank. I plan to make it an amazon biotope. Here is the link:http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3804446
I will be going to the store tommorow or Tuesday, and will be buying eco-complete, a liquid master test kit, a thermometer, and a backdrop (perferably black). I plan to fill it up and start cycling as soon as I get gravel. Question: Can you plant hile the tank is cycling? Will it kill the plants? Thanks, I plan to update at least once a day.

courtneypie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
Nashville, TN
Real Name
Courtney
I've had no problems with plants when cycling, but I had hardier plants. Either way, you should be fine.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
post up some pictures!! You will need above average light for the micro swords.

tbonedeluxe

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Chicago,Il
Adding plants right away actually speeds up the cycling process.
The plants will start to consume ammonia right away.
This will lead to less time for cycling.
You will be fine adding plants right away.
Just be cautious on adding to many fish at one time. Good luck. ;-)

amazonadam

AC Members
Nov 13, 2010
United States
Real Name
Adam
Sorry for no updates fora while. I was visiting my grandparents for a week. Well, anyways, there hasnt been much growth yet. My java fern sprouted some new leaves. I asked my LFS (before I left) if they carried Hornwort. They didnt have any left, so they gave me this tiny stalk from a recent clipping(before they sold it). So, I think that tiny 2-inch stalk is growing roots and stuff because the leaves are turning greener. On thanksgiving break, my friend gave me 8 catfish eggs. They were either from his common pleco, his emerald green cory catsish, or his bristlenose pleco. He only has one of each. Well anyways, I kept them in a cup, and 7 were non-viable. Butthe other hatched while I was on vacation! hes about a 1/4 to 1/2 a centimeter big. I dont know where to put him for now, or what to feed him. I tried powdered flakes, but he dosent seem to eat any. I cant put him in my tank yet, because it is cycling. For now he is still in the cup. Any ideas to which one he is? (Sorry for the lengthy post!)

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Adding plants right away actually speeds up the cycling process.
The plants will start to consume ammonia right away.
This will lead to less time for cycling.
You will be fine adding plants right away.
Just be cautious on adding to many fish at one time. Good luck. ;-)
I was under the impression that plants do the exact opposite for cycling a tank. I thought since they absorb nitrates and nitrites they slow down the colonization of beneficial bacteria in your filter media.

amazonadam

AC Members
Nov 13, 2010
United States
Real Name
Adam
sorry for not posting for awile. A month ago I bought cabomba, frill, wisteria,anacharis, and moneywort. My betta bulbs from before have more than 20 leaves each, and are flowering. I also have 3 ottos for algae control. They are the best algae eaters Ive ever seen. I named my baby cory catfish sammy. Hes about an inch long now.with all the plants in my tank, there are lots of dead leaves. when i try to net them many just disinegrate. So, I was wondering if blackworms would destroy my plants roots. I was also wondering if blackworms would eat fry and fish eggs, as I would like to breed fish in here. I kinda want a blackworm colony in my tank to eat mulm and dead plant leaves and stuff. Would blackworms be bad or beneficial in a tank like this? This weekend I will be picking up java moss and one male and two female cherry red shrimp, to breed in my tank. In a few weeks I will be picking up5 ember tetras. I will get 2 more after that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store