Glowlight Tetra Spawn

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
I tired a little experiment with my Glowlight Tetras and was actually able to get some eggs from them yesterday, however all the eggs were either eaten or had fungus on them today.

My question is what is the best way to prevent fungus from growing on the eggs if I can get them to spawn again?

I have read of people using Methylene blue, but I hear it stains your aquarium silicon blue. I have also heard of using hydrogen peroxide...but dont know how effective it is, or the dose I should be using for a 10 gallon tank.

If I am able to spawn them again I will provide all the details and put up some pictures...

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Methylene Blue. You want enough to make the water visibly darker.
You can't rear the fry with the parents so "somebody" needs to go into a different tank.

Blue silicone is just blue. Malachite Green makes it green. I consider it a cheap price for a spawn of nice fish. Raise the fry and sell them as tank bred. That should bring enough to cover a new tank.
Good luck.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Yes I have a few tanks, and the parents will be moved in the future, I didn't even think I could spawn them with such a high pH.

I will try and pick up some M Blue next weekend, and see if they spawn again for me..

I take it hydrogen peroxide is out of the question?

ps. I wasn't planning on selling the fish to make any profit or anything, I have a 55 gallon I wanted to fill just for something to say I did...

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Yes I have a few tanks, and the parents will be moved in the future, I didn't even think I could spawn them with such a high pH. I will try and pick up some M Blue next weekend, and see if they spawn again for me..
Any store that carries the Kordon line should have it.
Any good older LFS will have it, or give you some of theirs if you happen to have a small bottle in your pocket when you visit. Most pharmacists will sell you a nice dropper bottle for about a dollar. An ounce can be used for 20 to 60 gallons.

I take it hydrogen peroxide is out of the question?
I don't know. I've never heard of it being used an an anti-fungal in tanks.

ps. I wasn't planning on selling the fish to make any profit or anything, I have a 55 gallon I wanted to fill just for something to say I did...
That is exactly why I periodically spawn zebra danios. I like to have several dozen in my 70 and it's more fun and a lot less money to raise my own. When people with tanks visit and get done dropping their jaws because they didn't know it could be done, you can net a half dozen for them to take home. In my opinion, if you want to hook a kid on fish, show them the babies and teach them how to raise more.

I've temporarily given up on spawning neon tetras.
I'll get back to them someday. For now I'm concentrating on growing up some L333s, growing up some C. pygmaeus, spawning more pepper corys, and finding some good Celestial Pearl Danios to breed.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
So "dbosman" did you give up on the neons because you were not able to make them spawn?

That is my ultimate goal, is to spawn neons, but I thought I would try for the easier tetras first. Been mostly breeding livebears and cichlids up to this point. Zebra danios were the first egg laying species I tried to spawn as well, although I only had maybe 5 survive to adults, I didn't know how to feed the new born fry at the time.

First glowlight tetra spawn resulted in 0 fry, I can only improve

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
So "dbosman" did you give up on the neons because you were not able to make them spawn?
I didn't even get spawning behavior that I noticed.

That is my ultimate goal, is to spawn neons, but I thought I would try for the easier tetras first. Been mostly breeding livebears and cichlids up to this point. Zebra danios were the first egg laying species I tried to spawn as well, although I only had maybe 5 survive to adults, I didn't know how to feed the new born fry at the time.
First glowlight tetra spawn resulted in 0 fry, I can only improve
Getting them to spawn, even by accident, is the first step. I know the neons lay eggs in my 70. They just get eaten. Fast.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Well it wasn't completely by accident, I just wasn't expecting it with just regular tap water, I conditioned them separately for a week.

how many fry can you raise from one zebra danio spawn, just out of curiosity?

what do you feed the fry and how many times? what about water change frequency?

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Well it wasn't completely by accident, I just wasn't expecting it with just regular tap water, I conditioned them separately for a week.
Got to love those kinds of accidents.

how many fry can you raise from one zebra danio spawn, just out of curiosity?
I'm happy to end up with what ever I get. You want to pull the adults a couple of hours after the lights come on and I work days, so If they spawn on Saturday, great. If not, try again next week.
A young adult pair will produce three or four dozen fertile eggs.
An older pair can lay over a hundred. I use marbles on the bottom so a weekend spawn may contain eggs from a couple of day. This has been in a 2.5 gallon tank by the way.

I have progressive lenses which don't let me see the eggs. They are visible to kids and folks with great vision. The last batch was, I thought, three dozen, but I kept giving away batches of a couple dozen and finding more.

what do you feed the fry and how many times? what about water change frequency?
From Ken's Fish, I feed Golden Pearls and #00 Premium Growth meal. I also feed Hikari First Bites, finely crushed tropical flake, and baby brine. If I have time I feed them in the morning. In the evening they get a couple of meals. On weekends four or five feedings. There is a sponge filter with algae and micro organisms and live plants to pick at.

Ideally in a bare bottom tank, you'd vacuum up the uneaten food daily and top off as needed. I use a smaller siphon than I use for water changes so as not to suck the fry up in the cleaning process. Some use an airline tube for this. I'm not that patient.

For corys I was fortunate enough to get some half 10s.
I'm just starting with them. I have some fry now. Cute little things.
For CPS, I'll be using 10s.

Liquid_Pyro

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
Those eggs are pretty tiny, even I have a hard time seeing them!

But your process sounds pretty much the same as mine, I am going to try using infusoria when raising the glowlight fry this time though.

I use a 10 gallon tank and used marbles the first time I bred the zebra's but would like to try and use a net draped in the tank next time, that the eggs will fall through, therefore I will be able to see them better instead of underneath a bunch of marbles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store