Do you have a ctenopma fasciolatum? (Banded Bushfish)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alex7ktrc

Is there more to life than fish?
Jul 30, 2004
Cocoa, FL
www.livejournal.com
I'm looking for any info on these fish from people that keep them, I've seen them in books, but it be cool to talk to somebody you know? I found mine in a ghost shrimp tank (I work at an lfs) and I took him home, I feed him about 15 shrimp bi-weekly and I don't see much of him. He hides in this little house I have. But I was just trying to find someone that has one, Thanks!

shadrac

shadrac
Feb 4, 2005
i dont have a banded ctenopoma but i do have a lepord ctenopoma in a 30gal and when i first got him he just hid in the corner behind plants or behind the heater he did this for almost three weeks then he started to come out more. then we moved him to a 75 gal and once again he hid alot but after about a week and a half he's always right out in front watching whats going on outside the tank and always waiting for food.
mine also like to hunt feeder fish so if yours is big enoufh yyou can try put a few in his tank for him to hunt and that mite get him used to being out and about

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
I , too, have a leopard ctenopoma, Ctenopoma Acutsitore or something like that...

Anyways, they grow from 6-8 inches, more like 6 inches in the usual aquarium... They eat live foods, like fish, shrimp, and can be trained on dead foods like frozen bloodworms, which mine particularly enjoys...

They need a heavily planted tank and don't move much, only to strike at some food.

ncgoldfish

AC Members
Feb 25, 2005
No ctenopma fasciolatum but leopards (spotted perch)

I have 2 actually.

Lfs called them "leaf fish" and had about 20 of juvies in the tank. They also said they would eat flakes and pellets (mine won't touch the stuff).

Have them in an approx. 67-70 gal. planted tank with a fake log.

Both were extremely shy and very skittish after bringing them home but that's all changed - like shadrac said with his...mine are all over the tank and extremely nosy on what's going on in the room and will follow you from one end of the tank to the other.

Took them both about 2 weeks figure out people = supper time. The boldest one is the smallest, he'll eat the frozen blood worms right out of my hand, the larger one is a lil shyer and gets about 4 inches away before he chickens out.

They also get brine shrimp snacks every other day.

Neither of them have actually eaten flakes or pellet food - they suck the food in then spit it right out again. Have also found a used 10 gal that I've stocked with some guppies and platys. I think they'd have some fun chasing some dinner once in a while and a bit more variety in their diet.

These leopards are very peaceful fishes (except when they get too close to each other) and get along great with the gouramis, angels, rainbows, cory and plecos.

I think they're about the most interesting fish I've had the pleasure of meeting and it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the family were as interesting and cool to watch.

alex7ktrc

Is there more to life than fish?
Jul 30, 2004
Cocoa, FL
www.livejournal.com
Thanks for the replies, I've read that the leopards are friendlier than the regular kind. I caught mine out of a Ghost shrimp thank at the lfs. I don't know if I want to put him in my big tank though, all he does is hide in the 10gal, except for eating the ghost shrimp, he gets about 10 a week. I think if I put him in my 45gal he might be aggresive towards my other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store