If a fish and a half weighs a pound and a half...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Hello All,
Big time fish noobie here. Few weeks ago (before I found this site) I bought a small tank, 3 gallons, Height: 12", Length: 12", Width 8",
with the bio wheel filter system. Just want it to sit on a bookshelf, nothing extreme. Treated the water, ran the filter, bought a few fish:

1 Small Angel
1 Pleco? (i believe, bottom feeder that sticks to things)
1 fish which i don't know what it is. It was in the "community" tanks at the pet store. about 1 1/2 inches long. Black with a white striple. Had two almost whiskers coming out the face. Same body shape as a pencil or pen, long and skinny.

(also note, the pet store tried to sell me a few more fish, this is a 3 gallon tank, i knew that i was pushing the limits to being with)

So, back to the story, fished lived for a week, then the long fish died, followed by the angel. Both had some fin rot or thining, so my assumption was a PH problem or a fungus.

The pleco is still alive.

The truth is, I took the dying of the fish to heart, it made me feel bad, because i felt like i killed them (which i did). I didn't realize that there was all this cycling to do and had to worry about nitrate and whatnot. The instructions that came with the tank made the whole process seem so much less complex.

With that being said, I'd like to do this right now, so i'm looking for some suggestions:

1) What should I do with the tank water and living pleco. Is the water diseased and he just hanging on? Can i kill off whatever bacteria/problem in there and start with just him/her? Should i sacrifice him for the good of himself and start the whole cycling from scratch, clean the tank, etc.

2) Once I have the tank up and running correctly (either with the existing pleco or freshly cycled), what do you suggest i stock in this tank so I can keep it living? I've read about the inch per gallon thread and others, so i'd like some more expert advice of what some good stocking options would be, preferably, "lower" maintenance types, because i'd be really bothered by killing off more fish.

3) What additionals should I buy? What type of testing kits/water purifiers/chemicals?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

cheers

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Return the pleco to the store. You're dealing with a fish that can grow up to 18 inches--a 3 gallon tank will not work. None of the fish you originally purchased will work for a small tank--the store that sold all this to you should be smacked upside the head with a shovel.

Sans fish, cycle the tank. At this point, you need a test kit, and you'll be able to 'feed' the tank to allow the bacteria to establish. They are already working on this, but it takes a while. Testing is the only way to be sure.

Once the tank cycles, I would go with a paradise fish. They are very pretty, content in small tanks, and tolerant of cooler temps. A snail, or some shrimp would round it out nicely. I'd probably add some low light plants like anubias or african ferns--they will give the fish someplace to hide and hang out, as well as helping stabilize the system.

I prefer the liquid test kits--they are more accurate than the dip strips.

Xielos

how I mine for fish?
Sep 13, 2005
Definetly give the pleco back. Plecos are nigh invincible, but it wont be happy in a 3 gallon no matter what and it'll die. How about keeping a betta? Can't get much more colorful than a betta.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
Thank you very much for the quick repsonse. I felt very uneasy leaving the store, like I should've done some more research, but I took their word for it.

Ok back to the fish. I'll return the pleco, cycle the tank with the existing water, or clean it out and start again? I

f i use the same water, has the cycling already started? If new water, I would assume I have to use one of the methods (fishy or fishless mentioned).

I have a few small plastic plants in there, are they sufficient, or should I buy live?

I've read through all the different opinions of how to cycle, but in the end, whatever method i choose, i'm just waiting for the levels to bump, and the remain steady correct?

Thank you again, and i'm sorry if these questions have been asked a million times, i just feel i need clarification.

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
Keep the filter media and change the water...Doesnt hurt to start with fresh declorinated water...You will have to dose manually with bottled ammonia. See fishless cycling thread...If you dont already have a test kit,get one...A good kit is 15 bucks and lasts a long time. Without it you are flying blind and you need to know what the numbers are. This small tank thing comes up ver often...Personally I think we should have some sort of contest about them...Who can come up with an interesting tank, that thrives and is a good environment for the selected species...Could be fun and useful at the same time.

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
TheMightyQueenPixie said:
Keep the filter media and change the water...Doesnt hurt to start with fresh declorinated water...You will have to dose manually with bottled ammonia. See fishless cycling thread...If you dont already have a test kit,get one...A good kit is 15 bucks and lasts a long time. Without it you are flying blind and you need to know what the numbers are. This small tank thing comes up ver often...Personally I think we should have some sort of contest about them...Who can come up with an interesting tank, that thrives and is a good environment for the selected species...Could be fun and useful at the same time.

Do I need to clean to rocks/plants/tank? Or just empty the old and add the new water?

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Here is the cycling post you need:
Tank Cycling 101
I would recommend reading 100% of this post. Print it out and put it in the magazine rack in the bathroom if you must.

One thing I like to keep in mind is... you are cycling your tank and filter media ....not necessarily the "water". With normal 25% weekly water changes on a fully established tank, the water doesn't really stick around very long. There are specific techniques for cleaning filter media, substrate, and decorations. I think the article above hits on all of them.

Good luck :thm:

tlaug

AC Members
Feb 14, 2005
Buy you a nice size used tank. You can find 30g tanks and up this time of year usually cheap. With only a 3g tank you are going to have very few options when it comes to fish. I would never start with a tank smaller then 30g again. I like most started with the standard 10g tank ,but that is too small for most fish. My advise and two cents would be to go a head and start with a larger tank. Hope this helps.

Never take advise from a fish addict

chops11

AC Members
Oct 13, 2005
New York
So i just did some testing, with the old water and the one living fish. Here's what I have. Can someone tell me my next step?

Temp 75
PH 7.7
Nitrite .5
Ammonia 5 ppm

My tap water PH 6.4

I'd assume i want to do a 30% water swap ASAP correct?

What else would be suggested?

thanks

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Just so you know I just returned a Pleco that was 6 years old and he was 12" long and 4" wide. They grow very big and they will never tell you that. I knew how big they would get and had a deal with the LFS to take him back when he got to big for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store