Glossolepis pseudoincisus, Millenium or Tami River Rainbow??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I'm trying to find information on Glossolepis pseudoincisus. Some sources gives the common name as Millenium Rainbow Fish and a couple give the source of Tami River Rainbow Fish. I've found no sites that list both names as commons. They also have different lake sources, the ones that list it as the Tami River have the same lake source as Glossolepis incisus, Lake Sentani, discovery 1954. The ones that list it as the Millenium Rainbow have Lake Ifaten discovery 2002.

This fish is for sale at That Fish Shop, http://www.thatfishshop.com/product505.html,

Are they the same fish or no? The Millenium isn't some sort of hybrid, is it?

If you have information on this Rainbow specie's aquaria keeping, please let me know.

Please do not direct me to the usual Rainbow fish sites unless you know they specifically have Glossolepis pseudoincisus Millenium and Tami listed. I've been to the main Rainbow fish sites (such as http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/) and have not seen anything under the Glossolepis species except references to the Tami River entry.

Thanks!
Roan

angrytodd

AC Members
Oct 11, 2005
Great question!Those are some of the best looking rainbows i've ever seen,the red is awesome.Someones got to know more?A little help here? :huh:

Bosemani Fan

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Tennessee
Ok, I have Actually researched this issue myself to no avail, But i have got the ball rolling, I have sent an e-mail to Adrian Tappin who runs the Home of the Rainbow fish website. he is very knowledgeable and has answered some rather tough questions for me before. as soon as I hear from him I will let you know.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Bosemani Fan said:
Ok, I have Actually researched this issue myself to no avail, But i have got the ball rolling, I have sent an e-mail to Adrian Tappin who runs the Home of the Rainbow fish website. he is very knowledgeable and has answered some rather tough questions for me before. as soon as I hear from him I will let you know.
I posted to the rainbow list and I have a detailed response from Christophe Mailliet. I just haven't had time to post it.

I'll get it up by this afternoon -- what I can tell you is that the fish are legit and they DO exist YES!

Roan

Bosemani Fan

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Tennessee
This is the answer I recieved from Adrian Tappin The operator of (The home of Rainbowfish) website:

The fish sold as the Millennium rainbowfish was collected by Heiko Bleher from Lake Ifaten. He thinks it might be Glossolepis pseudoincisus. However, it hasn't been scientifically identified.

Glossolepis pseudoincisus was collected in 1954 by M. Boeseman, former Curator of Fishes at the Leiden Museum in the Netherlands from the Tami River. The Tami River, I think, runs into Lake Sentani. The species was named pseudoincisus with references to its similar appearance and geographic proximity to Glossolepis incisus. It has never been seen or collected since then. Only the museum specimens exist.
In January 2001, Heiko Bleher collected a new Glossolepis rainbowfish from Lake Ifaten, an isolated crater lake situated in the mountains near Lake Sentani in West Papua.

The fish look similar to Glossolepis incisus, but the scales are different (they're smaller and differently aligned). The new species is not as big as Glossolepis incisus; the body shape is more compact; the red coloration is more intense and the fin marking and shape is more pronounced. Also the Lake Ifaten Rainbowfish shows colour after three month of age - Glossolepis incisus needs nearly a year before they show proper colours.

The Lake Ifaten Rainbowfish has a very typical Glossolepis head. Very prominent at an age of one year, are the marks on the gill plate. A unique pattern of red lines that - so it appears - are drifting criss-cross. The females of the Lake Ifaten Rainbowfish are differently coloured. They have strong horizontal zigzagging yellow stripe colouration across the whole body. They also remain small - up to 6 cm total length.
It is a possibility that this species may be Glossolepis pseudoincisus.

Regards,
Adrian.

This is the answer i have recieved from Kevin Hosmer The Pres. of a local ANGFA:

Chad -

It is my understanding that the fish referred to as the Millenium Rainbowfish is Glossolepis pseudoincisus. A fellow member of ANGFA (North America), Eric Bodrock, raises them in quantity for sale in his shop: http://www.alloddballaquatics.com/ He also raises a number of other species. I haven't heard of the Tami River Rainbowfish, but I must admit that I haven't kept up on the literature concerning rainbowfish. I don't maintain as many fish, nor with the fervor I once did. I'm only keeping a population each of M. maccullochi and P. gertrudae.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I received an email from Christophe Mailliet this morning giving me permission to post the copy of the article he wrote for Fishes of Sahul, the ANGFA periodical, so here it is in PDF format, complete with awesome color pictures:

Those Little Red Fish

It deals with Glossolepis pseudoincisus and Melanotaenia parva.

Melanotaenia parva is the Kurumoi or Lake Kurumoi Rainbow, but everyone calls them the Flame Rainbow.

Since the Tami River is listed as Glossolepis pseudoincisus, and has the same description, it is most likely the Millenium.

They are both pretty new and that's why there aren't any cross-references to the two common names and we couldn't find a lot of info on the internet. Also, the lake the Millenium comes from is being mispelled by a lot of people. It's Lake IfaNten, not Lake Ifaten, which also explains the absence of information :)

Christophe also mentioned that the Millenium has now been found in a couple of more lakes and rivers and seemds to be quite widespread around the Sentani Lake area.

He concurrs with your sources and advocates Eric Brock (www.alloddballaquatics.com) as a reputable source for this fish. I think Eric is the guy to deal with. He's very highly recommended, that's for sure!

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store