Priming an AHEIM Filter pump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

txfishinlady

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Matagorda, Texas
My sister in law has given us a 75 gallon aquarium with a AHEIM professional filter cannister. I have filled the cannister with water and when you turn it on the water will come out of the bubble bar for a bit and then stop and then nothing happens. I am wondering if there is something I am doing wrong. It burps a few times but nothing else. Please let me know if you have one of these. And it does not have a primer button on it anywhere.

tre8160

AC Members
Dec 3, 2005
You don't have any water in the intake tube. That's why your having problems. Empty the canister and pull both tubes out of the water, place the intake tube back in water, suck on output tube till water is being gravity fed back into the filter via the intake, let the place output tube back in water and wait for canister to fill completely, after canister is full plug the filter in and place the end cap back on the spray bar.

txfishinlady

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Matagorda, Texas
i was so excited and ran in there and did just what you said and have a severe headache, lol, from sucking and nothing happened. maybe i have my tubes crossed. i was sucking the tube that has the holes in it and had put the long hose into the aquarium. i am about to go crazy trying to get this thing to work. it was working perfect when i picked it up and i was so careful not to do any damage.

tre8160

AC Members
Dec 3, 2005
LOL. Sorry forgot to tell you to remove the spray bar. Gonna be real tough to start the siphon with it on. You just want to suck on the tubing till the water comes up and over the tube and fills the filter. In the meantime while it's filling you can put the spraybar back on. Good Luck.

AlbinosRule

Albino Tiger Oscar
Oct 21, 2005
Sadorus Il
s15.invisionfree.com
You did open the valve back up right? Theres a little lever by each hose by the quick connect on the canister make sure they are in the open position.

inohuiam2

Ireallydonohuiam
Dec 5, 2005
Rockland Cty, NY
Usually Eheim Cannister filters have quick disconnect valves on both the intake line and exhaust line. So if this is what your set-up looks like, make sure the 4 valves (2 on each quick disconnect set-up) are in the "open" position. You should be able to tell if they are open if they valve handle is positioned "in-line" with the tubing. If the handle is positioned in any other direction, the water flow will be either fully or partially blocked.

txfishinlady

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Matagorda, Texas
Thank you all so much for your help

ok, i am going to go in there and try this again. i will keep you all posted and thank you so much for all of your help. i really really appreciate it.

txfishinlady

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Matagorda, Texas
You All Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow, i did it.. It is running perfectly now. Thank you so much for the first answer to my question, you have solved my problem. I am gonna go watch my aquarium now, hehe.. I have to go and get my fish tomorrow. Had water tested yesterday and it is great so now I can proceed. Again thank you so very much..

txfishinlady

AC Members
Jan 4, 2006
Matagorda, Texas
One More Question

Ok, now on the bubble bar, does it need to spray water above the water line into the aquarium or does it need to spray directly under the water? I hope you understand what I mean. Right now it is above the water level and spraying about halfway across the tank. Thank you again in advance....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store