fin rot. What to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
I am going to move this from the catfish forum..

My angel fish have finrot, and it looks like the fins look eaten up worse each day. Other fish seem to be fine for now.

I noticed this two days ago. at the time, my water parameters were good except for ammonia which was 0.25 i have gotten all down to 0 . 20% Water changes have been done for the last 2 days. I added some fungus remover by "Jungle" on the back it states that it is good for fin rot. Because of this fin rot, i had to humanely put down my cory, who had no barbels left, and would not eat any more, and one of my guppies also died. what else can i do now to get rid of this fin rot?

for those who are going to ask about how long i have had my tank up:

Its been about 3 months, and the aquarium has been cycled for 6 weeks before adding any fish.

Thanks,
Joanne

jadefoodog

AC Members
Dec 15, 2005
anti fungal something or other + 50% waterchanges every 2-3 days.

all you can do is keep up on the water and make sure its of the greatest quality. and ad meds as needed . sorry about your cory and the other fish that died. even human doctors cant cure everybody all the time.

good luck

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
when you said meds, were you referring to melafix? should i add that too?

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
when you said meds, were you referring to melafix? should i add that too?
Melafix is basically tea tree oil, right????? I've heard that this is good for any fungal problem and ok for the tank too. This is why I post my question about just staight tea tree oil, is this ok to put directly in your tank???

PS, sorry for thread jack, but i think that the answer can help you too! :D

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
no problem.. :D

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Naps - I did some research on using tea tree oil. You can add it to your aquarium by making a mixture if 1 % tree oil in one gallon of water (boiled) but there is no proof that it has been an effective method. Melafix also contains the following:

1% cajeput oil
1% emulsifier (Crovol PK-70 nonionic emulsifier)
0.2% defoamer (FG-10 by Dow Corning)
97.8% deionized water"

Bosemani Fan

AC Members
Oct 15, 2005
Tennessee
"well, first off, stress is the major cause of fin rot. This could be due to a fish disease such as parasites, or overcrowding, low oxygen levels, bullying, poor water quality etc. The most important first step is to resolve any stressors. If caught early, this may be sufficient.

In more advanced cases it may be necessary to trim the affected fin and remove the necrotic tissue. This has to be done when the fish is sedated. It is important to use sterile scissors and treat the clean edge with an antiseptic such as povodine-iodine. This procedure does carry with it a risk of secondary infection and it is important that the fish is returned to optimum conditions and its progress closely monitored for the next week or so."

Meds can Help, But ususlly not nessacary if caught early, Resolveing the stress issue and keeping your water a maximum quality should do the job that any meds will do.

naps

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
Houston, TX
THANKS!!! I looked up info too on tea tree and a lot of people in Europe use it insted of other medications, to be more natural I guess. So I was wondering if anyone here has used it and what results they may have had or if they think that I should NEVER use it or whatever. Thanks for taking the time to look up the info and post the melafix up too!!

crazy4beadz

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Bosemani thanks for your reply..

As to poor quality of water, we are constantly checking. The day we had noticed the fin rot, our ammonia was also 0.25, which we had gotten dow to 0 after the water changes, im guessing this may have been the cause of this.

If i will have to cut of the infected fin i will do so, with a little bit of help. after sedating her, and cutting the fin off, do I just take and put her back into a bowl with the aquarium water for it to wake up? will the rot come back?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store