Betta eating habits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sciencegeek

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
I have a male betta fish that doesnt seem to like the betta pellet food I have. The pellets are made by Aqua Culture. It says to place 6-8 pellets in the water, but my betta will only eat one if that and just spits them out. So i started to feed them to him individually to see how many I could get in him. I think I got about 3 this morning. He looks fine and is swimming around like normal. Any ideas of what I should try?

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Frozen or freeze dried bloodworms.
Frozen or freeze dried daphnia (only now and then though).
Mosquito Larvae (sold as "Glass worms" i believe).
Frozen Brine shrimp.

I am sure there is more - variety is the key. If you feed them the same old **** every day they wont be happy or healthy.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
I think you should try feeding him what *he* wants to eat, and it's obviously not pellets :)

I agree with Hannys_Papa, variety is the key and bettas are carnivores. I like the menu he listed.

I've also been feeding mine "EarthWorm Plus Flake" occasionally. It's made by BrineShrimpDirect.com and they go NUTS over it! All my fish go nuts over this stuff:

Yeast & yeast extracts, soy, egg, wheat gluten, earthworm, caseins, zooplankton, spirulina, lecithin, Naturose (source of astaxanthin), vitamin and mineral pre-mixes, stablized vitamin C.

Roan

Hannys_Papa

AC Members
Aug 31, 2005
Upstate NY
The list i mentioned is what i use.

I feed the freeze dried stuff for 2x a week - alternated with pellets (that my betta actually likes). The frozen foods are more of a treat.

My betta seems to like brine shrimp best - but again its more of a 1x a week treat because i think its not advisable to feed brine shrimp more than that.

I do it because he goes into the ultimate "hunting mode". I defrost them in some tank water and then drop 1 or 2 into the filter current. They get swished around cause they are so light and "fluffy" and look like they are alive. He goes after them like the hunter he wants to be lol. Considering how clumsy he sometimes is with pellets (takes him like 10 tries to get one into his mouth) its stunning to see with what accuracy and speed he can see and hit that one tiny shrimp from the other side of the tank. :)

Its fun to watch - and i am sure the activity itself is good for him too. After he had a few he searches the tank inch by inch for hours to make sure he didnt miss any...
Like i said - its fun to watch - better than just drop some food in front of him that he eats and then thats it.

Of course thats the experience with my betta - dont know if they all act like that. lol

Sorry for my lengthy post ;)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store