wound infection fungal or bacterial? please advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kyazh

AC Members
Feb 28, 2006
Glendale, Ca

I was adcised to post another thread to get the right people in here, I want to know how I can best cure this.. Thanks Alot!

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Hey guys i told kyahz to repost this b/c i don't know enough about diseases.

i also thought it could be hole in the head- it's a pretty strange looking wound.

help us out please!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
are there any other fish in the tank?

kyle... could be hole in the head but a lot of things are needed to know such as age of fish, tankmates, water pparameters, if the tank is cycled (I'm assuming it is), maintenance schedule. Is this in another thread somewhere?

my first guess would be it's a bacterial thing.... but we need to know more....that's a total guess at this point.

Last edited:

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Agree with DD. Looks bacterial.

Is that all around the pectoral fin? Looks like someone grabbed it and spun it around in the socket. Geesh.

I'm not versed on cichlids, no idea on HTIH or LL, but FWIR it doesn't affect that part of the body in that manner. DD?

Roan

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Ok, I've not had personal experience with hole-in-the-head with my angels so I can't really say for 100% but the hole on this fish looks a little big to be that.... my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I just don't feel comfortable for calling it that. However, I did find this from the Angelfish Forum II, a member by the name of Ish posted it:
The following information was taken from The Manual of Fish Health, by Dr. Andews, Exell, and Dr. Carrington.

Hole-in-The-Head Disease:

Caused by:
The flagellate protozoan, Hexamita, is usually involved. (This is known as Octomitus).

Obvious symptoms:
Small holes appear in the body, especially the head region, which gradually develop into tubular eruptions. Very often, yellow, cheesy strings of mucus will trail from the lesions, leading some aquarists to believe that their fish are suffering from "worm infestation."
Affected fish often go off their food and develop a hollow-bellied appearance, with pale, stringy feces. Lesions may also develop at the base of the fins and near the lateral line. Somewhat similar symptoms occur in a disease known as "head and lateral line erosion" (HLLE), which often affects marine fish such as surgeonfishes (Acanthuridae).

Occurrence of the disease:
Hexamita often exists as a low-level infection in the intestines of a variety of coldwater and tropical fish, notably affecting cichlids- such as Discus, Angelfish, and Oscars-and gouramis. Such infestations proably do the fish little harm. However, various factors, such as overcrowding, low oxygen levels, and unhygenic conditions, changes in temperature and poor diet, may cause the parasites to multiply and then develop the acute symptoms described above. HLLE may be a complex disease syndrome related to poor diet (lack of Vitamin C), as well as environmental factors.

Treatment and control:
The best way of treating hole-in-the-head disease is with medicated food. Unfortunately, affected fish often stop feeding and it is difficult to mix medicated food on a small scale. Fortunately, there are a few drugs which may be added to the water of the tank. Among these are dimetridazole and metronnidazole, both of which are available only with a veterinary prescription in certain countries. A local veterinarian should be able to assist you in the use and application of these drugs, and it is likely that several repeat treatments will be needed for a successful outcome.

For long-term control, it is important to quarantine all new stock, give appropriate preventative treatment and eliminate the factors which bring on the disease. Usually, HLLE can be successfully treated by offering fresh vegetable matter in the diet and removing activated carbon filteration and any protein skimming.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Jungle (argh!) actually makes a medicated food that contains metronidazole, a recommended medication for treating HITH.

IF you can get them to eat the stuff, that is. I used a mortar and pestal to pound the pellets (which are rather big) down into a smaller size.

It's called Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food.

Roan

kyazh

AC Members
Feb 28, 2006
Glendale, Ca
Thanks for the help guys.. here are my tank specks...
I do daily 30% water changes and treat the tap water with "aquasafe"
There are 3 other angels in the tank, 2 guaramies, and 4 guppies.
(yes know its quite overcrowded, Im working on getting an additional 10gal, and only keeping my angels in the 29gal)

As for the water test.. this is what I got
Nitrate is about 30-40ppm
Nitrite is less than 0.5ppm
Total hardness is 120
Alkanlinity is 150ish
and the PH is 7.2ish

I purchases Mardel Maroxy fungal medication today and did another 30% water change and added that, along with a little bit of salt.
I have been observing the fish closely, and his behavior is quite healthy! He eats with all the others and is not sluggish at all. I cant see any holes in the affected area, just little cotton like things, with a little bit of irritation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store