55gal peacock tank pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Heres my 55 gallon peacock tank. Its been up for a few months now. All males, I feed them spectrum pellets, flakes, shrimp pellets, frozen cubes, and they eat leftover cucumber from the gold nugget. Let me know what you think.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
no aggression issues?

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
There havnt been any aggression problems so far. I was worried about the gold nugget at first, but he's been doing good for 3 months and nobody touches him. I was also a little worried about putting the lab in there but I read that they were pretty much the only one I could put in with peacocks. Were there any others you thought might fight? Let me know and I'll watch out for it.

jay733

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
I like it. It has plants but it has a nice neat look to it and has a lot of hiding spaces for your fish. Good job in assembling it, those plants look real healthy too. :clap:

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Thanks.
The plants are fake :joke:

I made my own though. Instead of pay $7-8 per plant I got some fake plants at a craft store, some aquarium sealant, and some small slate pieces. Prop the plants on top of the slate and stick it with sealant. It cost me around $11 for almost all the plants you see, plus enough for my parents 30 gallon and a friends 30 gallon!

god61021

AC Members
Jun 7, 2006
your venestus may get to big for his tank mates.i was told venestus were only aggressive to fish they could eat and wanted to get some but other peoples posts make them sound pretty **** mean as adults so i didnt get any.my experiance has been that rusty cichlids work well with labs and peacocks but most people dont like the colors.

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I just worried about using all males with territories

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
Yea the venustus is growing pretty fast. Im good friends with my LFS owner so he'll get him once he is too big. I havn't noticed him being any more aggressive than the others either.

From researching, many people have had luck with making a community cichlid tank by overcrowding. My LFS owner has a 140 with about 50+ africans and its definitely a sight! I learned that as long as I have plenty of hiding places and things that break their lines of sight I can keep them off eachother. There is also no female in the tank which I figured would keep the aggression level down.

Thanks about the gold nugget. I've had him for a few months now, I had a peppermint last time and he only lasted a month but I blame the pet store. He is the first thing I look for when I pass my tank!

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I've found that having a majority of females keeps things pretty calm in there...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store