Tank Decor - Deer Antlers-

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
I just had an idea and wanted to hear some opinions. Has anyone ever done or heard of someone putting deer antlers in a tank for decorative purposes? Assuming it would not look completely tacky, do you think it would mess up the water chemistry? Would something like that decompose in the water more than driftwood? Thanks in advance.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
i don't know who would want to put deer antlers in their tank, i guess its a matter of taste. then again, who knows what kind of solvents and preservatives are coated onto the antlers, because yeah they do decay over time. and if its not preserved, it might foul up in contact with water. im not sure myself, then again i always stick to aquarium-safe ornaments and decor.

travis

AC Members
Jul 16, 2006
it would definitely mess up the water. deer antlers decay very quickly in the wild. im sure they would decay just as quickly in an aquarium.

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
good point about the decay.

apratsunrthd

AC Members
Aug 1, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
I'm sorry but I could not help but laugh at that. My buddy suggests you also consider throwing some beer and Skoal cans in there too! Maybe you could use a centerfold for the tank background!

Actually, that really doesn't sound so bad... I might actually consider something like that as a 'novelty tank'!

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
apratsunrthd said:
Maybe you could use a centerfold for the tank background!
I'm surprised my BF hasnt thought of this yet lol. But that would require removing one of them from the wall in the garage.

rosswake

AC Members
Aug 7, 2006
I really do think it could be done to look nice, with a natural river/lake bottom theme. Some plants and things like that would work, but I will agree that an empty Miller Light bottle would probably be the best addition to the tank as far as my friends are concerned. I might even do that without adding the antlers (since they might mess up the water). well, thanks for the feedback everybody, take it easy. I'm out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store