Biology Dep.; a sickening tale

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
No, no one was disected.

But it is bad. Here's what happened:

For those of you who dont know, i use too keep 2 anoles in a ten gallon tank. This is now the home for my fish; ie first in sig. This was my first pet that actually required my direct interpherance to survive. So naturally, i was forced to do a massive deal of research on them first by my mother. Unfourtunately, i also listened to my local LFS.....(fine for fish, but i'd sooner trust petco *gasp* than them as far as anoles are concerned) and i ended up putting the poor creatures in the entirely wrong biotope (desert) and they died shortly thereafter.

ANYway, the point of this tale is that i came out of this expeience w/ a much better understanding of anole care, and since then, my eye has always been open for them. In that time, i've also learned a great deal about fish of course (THANKS GUYS!!!).

So as i happened to saunter into my Spanish two class the other day, low and behold, guess what was sitting on the front desk of one student? You guessed it, an anole. the poor creature (petco purchase) was inside a plastic container that looked to be a mere gallon or so (the cage shorter than your size 11 shoe) with an inch or so of some sort of bark for substrate topped off w/ a small container of frozen meal worms IN THE CAGE!!!!!!! When asked about it, the student replied, "Oh, its for my Biology class; our teacher wanted us to bring in one reptile and one invertebrate (hermit crab)" Out rage! Scandal! But wait, it gets worse:

Then, today, while walking in the hallway, i spotted the farmiliar hint of green and carefully positioned movements of an anole-bearing person. Along with a betta...... :mad2: :thud: First off, genius here most likely thought that the betta was an invertebrate. Second, I was dismayed (but not surprised; given the level of intelligence at our school) to find the poor fish crammed into one of the typical "betta-perfect" cup (the ones barely big enough to hold a full cup of water) along with the typical blue solvent (assumedly anti-fungal, but correct me if i'm wrong) that showed the water had not even been changed or filtered.

AND THE ANOLE WAS SITTING RIGHT ABOVE HIM, CRAMMED IN THE SAME CONTAINER!!!!!!!!!

This is an outrage and seeing as most of the students got theirs from the chain stores,Petco etc; i fear thiswill lead to a downscaled version of what the SW world experienced with the "Finding Nemo (and finding out that this fish also costs more than i thought)" epic.

Any thoughts?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
:thud: :thud: :thud: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :rant2: :rant2:

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
You might want to have a chat with the biology teacher, or convince someone else to if you will need to take a class from them later. Try to be non-confrontational about it. Even people who aren't "rabid animal rights types" think that when you adopt a pet you have a responsibility to take care of it. Having people buy animals when they have no interest in taking care of them is not a good idea.

I wonder what the educational purpose of having everyone in a class buy animals is? If they're going out thinking that a betta is an invert, they probably need a lot more educating first. The only purpose I can think of is learning how easy it is for an animal to die when it's in the wrong environment!

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
I can't imagine a school/teacher doing that. You would think that parents would freak about having a pet forced on them like that. Seriously, if my kids teacher tried to make us go out and get a Tarantula or snake, I'd totally pop on them. LOL

You would think the teacher would just have some animals in the class for the students to observe. Thats just stupid teaching in my book. Maybe its just me, but I'd raise 10 kinds of hell about it. Although it probably won't do any good.

My kids grade school has a tall corner tank (maybe 40 gl at best) with a 8-ish inch pacu, and a 7-ish inch Oscar. I raised hell about it, no one listened. I go to the school for pictures the other day...they had ADDED another big fish. I'm not positive what kind, but it is the same size as the other 2 and a cichlid!!! *insert scream here* I find it disturbing that these STUPID people are teaching my kids!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store