PFO Solaris

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
So we're FINALLY upgrading the 185 gallon (soon to be a reef) tank.

We're getting in a sump, and some lighting.

We've decided on LED lighting.

Reviews I've read are amazing. Anyone have first hand experience with this type of lighting?
Can't wait till it comes in!!

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I'm gonna take a look at those.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
turns out it was off the bosses budget. . . We ended up going with an MH/vho ballast instead.

These pfo LED's look awesome!! Apparently leaving the lights on 10 hours a day, there'll be no need for changing your bulbs for 11 YEARS!!!

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I don't really like the fact that they appear to be only a set spectrum. Even from one MH to another the effects of the color spectrum appear different and I would hate to buy that and find out it wasn't as blue as I wanted of it was too blue. (bye bye $2000)

demcel

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe it will be like HDTV

I did a little research and looked at some of the pictures PFO has at their website for the Solaris. It seems like a really awesome light. I'd like to see some pics of the 13K version as the 20K is a little too blue for my taste. The problem is the price, at $3344 (not incl. shipping) (72"):thud: i'm gonna have to put it on my list with HDTV of things to get when the price gets in my ballpark.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
just my opinion here, but, i would still prefer a metal halide fixture than LED lighting. I have seen comparisons before of what the LED and MH set at a certain spectrum of light, and there is a difference when compared to two different metal halide fixture of the same wattage put together...

However, on a positive note, i do beleive that further on down the line, this will be the way ahead when it comes to reef lighting. I just think it needs more tweaking before it will catch on...

Niko

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
I have seen one of these in person and they are quite impressive. They are fully programmable so that a single unit can be changed from crisp white to very blue and just about anywhere in between with a timer built in. The local rep. brought one in to our club's frag swap and put it over another guy's tank. It looked incredible and ran exceptionally cool. Pricey, though.

leoslizards

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Yup very pricey. You could always try the DIY version. It's still a bit pricey though. About $500 - $600. The leds go for $40 - $60 a piece.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store