DIY LED moonlights

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
I recently made LED moonlights out of a strand of leftover Christmas lights. I started with a strand of 50 5v white LED Christmas lights, obtained from K-Mart's after-Christmas sale. It has a pair of built-in 2k ohm resistors, one on either side of the light strand. I only used one of the stock resistors. I cut 12 LEDs in from the prong side, and cut the extra wire coming out of the third LED. I then added 4k ohm more resistance. I probably added too much resistance, but I wanted them to be a bit dimmer since I'm using 12. I've attached a pic of the schematics.

I wanted to make sure the resistors were waterproof, so I bent the them into a 2x2 square, put a piece of 3/4" heat-shrink tubing around them, then filled it with hot glue and shrunk the tubing. It squeezed the excess hot glue out as it shrunk and made a nice waterproof cap on either side.

They are attached to my light hoods be being wedged in between the reflector and hood casing. I'm planning on making my own ODNO hood soon, so I didn't want to put too much effort into attaching them to the existing hoods.

Total cost of this mod was: $2.50 for the LEDs, $5.00 for the resistors, and $1 for the Guinness I drank while soldiering everything together

The only pic I have of them on isn't very good, I need to get another one taken. They run on AC power, which is why all the resistance was needed.

LED_Moonlights_Schematics.jpg

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
Total cost of this mod was: $2.50 for the LEDs, $5.00 for the resistors, and $1 for the Guinness I drank while soldiering everything together.
What I really want to know is, where are you getting a tall can of Guinness for only $1? Otherwise, thanks for the awesome writeup for people like us who'd like to do this.

v/r, N-A

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
DIY and water, scares me. Especially when Guinness is involved. :dance:

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
The way my hoods are rigged, there's no *easy* way for water to get to any soldier points. The light hoods are over a piece of acryllic. If the wires do get wet, all the joints are soldiered, then I put heat-shrink tubing around each joint, filled them with hot glue, and shrunk the tubing. It squeezes out hot glue on each end, making a nice waterproof endcap. If water does somehow make it through, it's on a surge protector plugged into a GFI outlet, so I'm not too worried about it. NA, check Costco, you can usually get a 12 pack for $12 or so :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store