My 45 Gallon Slate Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GDominy

Bottom feeders Rule
Hello all, been a while since I posted. I had to take a break from the fish scene for a while so this is my first tank in about a year and a half.

This tank is less then 2 weeks old, but all of my filter media was moved from an established tank to this one, so I'm not too worried about the water conditions going wonky. The plants are keeping everything running pretty smoothly too.

Its definately a work in progress, and I am biting my nails watching certain plants grow cause its not at all where I want it. It's only a couple weeks old though.. I'm just being impatient.

Tank Specs:

Lighting - 4 x 55 Watt CF Bulbs
Filter - Fluval 404 Canister Filter
CO2 Reactor - Aqua Medic Reactor 1000
CO2 Regulator - JBJ All in one
UV Sterilizer - Coralife Turbotwist 6X (18 Watt)​

Background - 100lbs of Slate, purchased from a quarry here where it is mined. I stacked this wall by hand piece by piece and experimenting with each row. Took quite a while to do, but has proven to be well worthwhile. There are numerous tunnels behind the slate where the Atyopsis Shrimp cruise through. They pop out anywhere in the tank to graze and wander about.

Stocking - Currently there are 5 Otto's, 2 Atyopsis Shrimp, 9 Cardinals (soon to be 25+), 6 Sunburst Platties (and who know how many babies). The platty offspring will be removed from this tank into a few 30 Gallon tanks to be raised so they won't spend much of their life in here.

I am considering adding either some German Blue Ram's, or some Kribs to this tank, but I am a bit worried about how they would react to the shrimp. We'll see how things go.

I am setting up a 10 Gallon tank to breed Cherry Red Shrimp in as well, so I'll be supplying this 45 Gallon tank with offspring from there.

45g_large.jpg

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great job!

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
awesome!

eyeman

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
Fantastic. I like it!!

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
awesome, really like it.

Malbri

User
Dec 11, 2006
that is so cool!

did you buy the tank with slate like that or did you do that?

jere1558

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
That is beautiful...what does one have to do to create that? What kind of extra support did you use?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store