What fish to breed in tropical pond to make $$$

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I read about how everyone that keeps tropicals out in ponds during the summer have tons of babies come early fall. I am planning a 500 gallon pond and I can't decide which fish or invert I want to breed for MAD CASH!!! I was thinking either rainbows, endlers, cherry shrimp......something that still commands a good price so I can make MAD CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let the brainstorming begin!!!!!!!!!!!

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
I highly doubt any fish would bring you "MAD CASH". If you really want to try this idea, you should talk with your LFS and see what fish they would be willing to buy from you. You may be surprised at how little a LFS will pay for fish.

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
I used to work in a pet store so I do know what they pay, most fish are under 20 cents for a store. Actually I know that there is no such thing as making big money on fish. I just know at the end fo the season I will have a bunch of little ones swimming around that I won't have room for inside so I will need to get rid of them. If you have any in mind please let me know! Plus I was using it as a sweet attention getter.....

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
end fo the season I will have a bunch of little ones swimming around that I won't have room for inside so I will need to get rid of them.
breeding fish which your going to have kill at the end of the year makes little sense to me. yes, 'getting rid of them' is a euphamism for killing them.

why not use the pond for koi .. they won't breed, they'll look pretty, they'll satisfy your pond requirements and best of all, you won't have to 'get rid of them' at the end of the year.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
When you're putting expensive tropicals out in a pond, having them get eaten by varmints, birds, dragonfly larvae, etc is a problem. Getting fish or fry out of a pond at the end of the season isn't easy, either.

At club auctions, I've never seen catfish go cheap. Killifish and dwarf cichlids (except for kribs and shell dwellers) always seem to get good prices as well.

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
When I was a kid we had long finned fancy goldfish in a pond outside. Each year we would use a flashlight to nab them at night, the LFS gave us a dollar per baby. They were cool since as babies they are shiny silver but grow to be bright OJ and white.

Aquaken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2004
Also I was a hired gun (bb) to keep the egrets and blue herons out, and we often had to capture snakes.

lousybreed

Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
breeding fish which your going to have kill at the end of the year makes little sense to me. yes, 'getting rid of them' is a euphamism for killing them.

why not use the pond for koi .. they won't breed, they'll look pretty, they'll satisfy your pond requirements and best of all, you won't have to 'get rid of them' at the end of the year.
Dude read my post. The whole thing is about selling them to pet stores. How could I make MAD CASH if I just killed the fish at the end of the season? That is like a farmer burning his crop in the fall!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store