ammonia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. Z

False ammonia readings caused by something leaching from my sand substrate.

The long and skinny of my issue is that I have something leaching from the sand I use as my substrate that is causing an alarmingly high false reading using a salicylate based ammonia test kit (API specifically, but any test using this chemistry will most likely provide the same results). I...
  2. F

Very difficult tank can't figure it out

So I have a tank that’s been nothing but issues and I cannot figure out what’s wrong. It’s almost 3 months old, was cycled at 1 month and was seeded from a different tank by using an older filter. It is 29 gallons 62% stocked with 180% filtration of 6 cherry barbs 6 ember tetras and 5 Harlequin...
  3. S

Help!!! Emergency Ammonia Problem!!!

First off, I'd like to say I am already educated in general fish keeping and know about cycling the tank and everything now. My current problem comes from when I was not as educated. I was planning on getting a small above ground pond and decided to look up a good way to introduce the beneficial...
  4. N

Help needed... neon tetra on his own...

Hi I'm new here... I've kept fish before but not for a long time since I was a teenager and my daughter wanted a tropical tank so I was dead excited to help her set it up! So recently set up a 10 gallon tank with heater filter etc let it run for 7 days after using the tap safe additive and went...
  5. N

Betta is in imminent danger... help!

So I had a very stable set up in my 5 gal Fluval Spec tank for about 4 - 5 months with my Betta. I then added 5 baby neons to the tank. I plan(ned) on upgrading to a 20g.... Everything went well for several weeks, then a fungus bloomed and killed the neons. In a panic, I contacted my LFS, but...
  6. M

Help with Tank and Neon Tetras please!?

Hi, I could really use your insight! So we are brand new to this and we know we've made some mistakes. We're learning and the number one thing we've learned is don't trust the advice of the people at Petco :/ We've been set up for about 2 weeks. We let the tank cycle without fish for about 5...
  7. K

Adopted fish suggestions

Hi all! I'm a semi-newbie. For about the past year I've had a 5 gallon tank with a betta and a bristlenose pleco (temporary to eat the algae bloom, planned to get a larger tank for the pleco). That tank has a filter and heater and is fine. I was looking for a larger tank on Craigslist and...
  8. S

Ammonia spike

We have a 38 gallon bowfront tank. It is fully cycled and stocked with: 2 dwarf gouramis, 4 golden barbs, 2 Cory cats, a bristlenose pleco, and 3 angelfish. I know we are on the side of being overstocker but according to aqadvisor it's at 118% so still within safe zone with water changes. we got...
  9. courtneypie

Getting back into the hobby!

I've been out of the hobby for about four years now, and BF and I just decided we missed having fish, so we're setting up my old 10gal in our apartment (the 60gal has to stay at my mom's for now). Re: cycling: I got a bit of gravel from the guy at the LFS and all related accessories (the only...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store