planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. S

Need advice for a N00b to canister filters - Eheim or Fluval set up – 29-gallon tall – also anubias plants

I have 3 tanks: * less than a gallon (2 plants, sand-like substrate, bladder snails to keep it clean, bio filtration only) * 3-gallon (a couple of male fancy guppies & a nerite snail, heavily planted, smooth pebble substrate, bio filtration only, moving to a 10-gallon) * 29-gallon tall (1 VERY...
  2. J

C02 Injection

Hello, New to Planted Aquarium 1st time injecting C02 - I have ran it for the first day today. Noticed I am overdosing on C02 which i dont want to harm my fish My KH is at 2 drops of API KH Solution and my PH is 6.6 However the solution in my C02 Indicator is yellow. I dosed 1 drop per...
  3. R

Hardy mid to high light plants

So I’ve done some research and I can only ever find low light plants for beginners. I have bright LED lights on for 8-9 hr a day (which I’ve elevated to reduce intensity) and it still completely destroys my java fern, Anubias and anacharis. (There’s literally just a rhizome leftover from one of...
  4. T

Starting up a filterless tank

So I recently bought a second-hand 20 gallon tank. I got all kinds of stuff with it such as 2 (rather old) filters, 2 air pumps, 2 heaters, a lot of decorations and some stuff to help your cycling proces (the bottle still had the price tag on it, in guilder, a currency which isn't used here...
  5. F

50 gal semi aggressive stock

Hello, Just wanting to post a stocking idea and get some feedback as I always like to check what others think as well as research. I have a 50 gal heavily planted aquarium that currently has a single albino bristlenose pleco in it (juvenile currently) and 3 black neons(leaving in a few days as I...
  6. FishL0ver

8 Gallon Fish Tank Ideas

I've got a 10 gallon tank. I call it an 8 gallon because of the rocks in it. It's heavy flow, planted tank. I'm looking for fish that I could have in there. I was thinking maybe ember tetras. Ideas/recommendations?
  7. S

(Week 1) Walstad Tank with Speedy the Betta | No CO2, No Ferts & Heater

Hi there, I am for 6months now into this hobby and i really loved it! I like Natural planted tanks & Provide an ecosystem where plants and fish balance each other's needs. so learned about it and created my planted tank. I use organic soil and gravel, for plants i picked alot of fast growing...
  8. FishyWarrior

40 Gallon redone

My tank has been through a lot over the year it's been up, but now it's been completely revamped from the ground up. Right now only my 5 panda cories are in it as well as snails and a couple amano shrimp. I was originally going to have a large school of neon tetras in it but after having the...
  9. J

Outwitting Silver Dollars with refug./sump

Thanks in advance for help on this problem... Information: My two silver dollars eat everything I plant in my 29g. of course, and I have a nitrates/algae problem, of course. Letting the little rascals go to another home is, of course, out of the question: they've been with me so long I couldn't...
  10. G

20 Gallon Long Filtering and Flow Question

Hello, I've got myself a new tank after many years away. It is a planted 20G long with a single aquaclear 20 and I am having trouble coming up with a good way to increase flow and or filtration. I'm currently cycling the tank so want to get this sorted before I get fish. I was thinking Harlequin...
  11. H

Newbie needs help!

Hey all! First time posting, hope I do this okay and please forgive my complete cluelessness on the topic. :( Was not the plan to inherit this tank, but trying to do right by it and need assistance! I recently inherited a 10gal planted tank that doesn't seem to be doing so well. I've done some...
  12. A

DIY questions

OK so new to the whole planted tank thing but right now that's besides the point. I have a low tech tank so low that I made a diy air/water displacement filter. The output tube mainly puts out air with spurts of water (about 1 gallon per hour). I also want to get make one of those crappy...
  13. S

Plants dying. Don't know why

I have a 20 gallon freshwater planted aquarium. I've had it for about 7 months and plants have constantly died in it and the last plant renaming is some Green Temple. I have eco-complete substrate, pH is a bit high at 7.6 and I'm working on lowering that but it doesn't seem to ever go down with...
  14. R

38 gallon tankmate suggestions?

Planted tank, with 6 yellow glofish and a couple firemouths. Think I'll be adding a couple ottos as well, or possibly a bristlenose pleco. But wondering about a gaggle of tetras. I've been to LFS, only has head and taillights, red eyes and candy canes. Think their colours are too similar to the...
  15. T

Saltwater freak setting up panted tank, advice appreciated

Hey everyone, I grew up with FW aquariums and have a good understanding of how FW tanks work, but limited physical experience. (One 50 gal/several nano fish only tanks, as well as a crazy awesome 30gal palludarium). I've been keeping impressive SW tanks for years. My uncle has a retail lounge...
  16. J

Shrimps and Otocinclus?

Hello everyone, I am posting here to have your opinions. I have a 15 gallon dirted tank with 12 neon tetras. The plants are growing well and so are the algae... brown, green, etc.. So, I have been thinking of getting 5 amano shrimps to eat the algae. But I also like the look of the oto. Do you...
  17. J

Neon Tetras, constipated or parasite infection?

Hello everyone, I joined this forum for some help. I have recently bought some neon tetras (about 5 days ago) and today I found out that some of them are... "rounder" if you will, than others. I do not know if they are just well fed (fed them today) or sick. I have also noticed two or three...
  18. F

Liquid KH dosing

Hi, Who can think of a way to dose liquid KH or alk buffer using a dosing pump? It's easy to find solutions (no pun intended) for marine tanks OR powders for fresh water tanks. But I've not found a liquid product for fresh water. My tap water is 1KH so I need to dose alkalinity buffer, or...
  19. pharasalia

Ready to restock 29G. What's your coolest stocking ideas?

I have been away for awhile. About a year and a half ago, I lost all my fish when I was hospitalized after a major surgery and then in a short coma thanks to anaphylactic shock. My tanks were neglected during my hospitalization and subsequent recovery. I have a 29G planted tank with sand...
  20. V

2 foot lighting issue

I lave a lovely 15 gallon 2foot tall tank, think of it like a tower, and I'm wanting to turn it into a planted shrimp tank. I'm looking mostly at LED lighting systems but I'm not sure if I'll get enough penetration to grow plants at the bottom. Seems shrimp like moss and other things but I've...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store