substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. A

New to planted tanks — substrate suggestions/opinions?

Hey! I am a newbie to planted tanks but recently I’ve been researching some low tech plants to include in my aquarium. I currently have two plants and am using the Seachem Flourite brown natural substrate. My question is: is this an okay option? My plants so far haven’t seemed to stay in the...
  2. Z

False ammonia readings caused by something leaching from my sand substrate.

The long and skinny of my issue is that I have something leaching from the sand I use as my substrate that is causing an alarmingly high false reading using a salicylate based ammonia test kit (API specifically, but any test using this chemistry will most likely provide the same results). I...
  3. G

1 year old Black Moore Goldfish

Hi! So I’m new here and I need some opinions. I have a 20 Gallon tank with one black Moore (i plan on upgrading his tank once he gets bigger. I keep hearing how sand is better than gravel. And I hear just as much as how gravel is better than sand. I have a Cory Dora and I know their whiskers are...
  4. H

New 30g tank - substrate and fish recommendations?

Hi all, First post for me here. So, quick background - I had a slew of tanks when I was a kid, through high school, but the largest at the time was a 29g who had a large Tiger Oscar as the showpiece fish. Another tank had killifish and kribensis. Then I got out of the hobby (went to college...
  5. E

Safe, Inexpensive Black Sand?

Hello, I'm looking for black sand for a 40g breeder tank. Most explicitly aquarium sand is very expensive for the amount i need (likely around 40 pounds) so does anyone know of any safe and less expensive alternatives? Thank you so much
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store