10 gallon "native" build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I have pygmy sunfish (e.zonatum/evergladei/gilberti) , l.ommata, and het formosa together in one tank and all is well. The formosa are more aggressive feeding-wise, and a bit larger (around) than l.ommata.

I'd probably go with 6 pygmy sunfish and 8-10 ommata in a planted out 10g.

Unfortunately both males and females tend to look bland except for a dominant male or two, depending on how much tank space they have to work with. Let me know if you have any other ??s or need help sourcing some.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Gilberti tends to be more colorful. I'm actually heading out this friday to try to find more, they seem to be rather elusive on this side of the state. So far I have dozens of evergladei and maybe a few gilberti. The females of the two are very similar (as well as the subdominant males), and I've been too lazy to do ray counts since I don't plan on segregating them by species just yet.

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
It's all good, I may actually have enough to accommodate you by then anyway, so that is perfect for me. gilberti seem to be difficult to find in the trade. Unfortunately the closest place I can collect them at is over an hour drive away and I'm not too familiar with the area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store