100 gallon stocking ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SmokedNeptune

AC Members
Nov 21, 2015
I was thinking maybe peacock/hap but I don't know pretty much anything about African Cichlids or the numbers to stock them at
Any help is appreciated thanks

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you planning on breeding them, or an all male tank? If you plan on breeding them you probably can only have 1 or 2 species of Peacocks. They can and will cross breed.

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
All Males--OK. Now you need to do your research and find which Peacocks and/or Haps you want. Lots of peaple mix hap and peacock males. Not all of them will mix, and what works for one person, may not work for you. Try not to get 2 males that look alike, they will fight. Some peacocks are more meaner then others, but in general they are peaceful. It will take a long while before you get a "Harmonious" tank. There will be a lot of trial and error. One fish maybe just fine for about 6 months or a year and then decide that it's neighbor is it's enemy, or become a phyco want to kill others. Trust me, this will happen.
Try and fine the one fish that you MUST-HAVE, then try and build around it.
Good Luck. Do lots of research.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Are you planning on breeding them, or an all male tank? If you plan on breeding them you probably can only have 1 or 2 species of Peacocks. They can and will cross breed.
Slightly off topic curiosity based question, I have heard several people mention cross breeding, particularly in cichlids. I'm curious if this has any specific negative effects aside from slightly goofy looking fish.
Thanks,
Brian

tanker

Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The negative effect is that if you sell or give away the off-spring they would not be pure. Africans are the easiest fish to breed (IMO). Rearing the fry is not too difficult either. So if your fish are cross-breeding, you must find a way to deal with all the "Hybrid" fry. Giving them away to others or LFS, or selling them is not an option.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
The negative effect is that if you sell or give away the off-spring they would not be pure. Africans are the easiest fish to breed (IMO). Rearing the fry is not too difficult either. So if your fish are cross-breeding, you must find a way to deal with all the "Hybrid" fry. Giving them away to others or LFS, or selling them is not an option.
Cool, thanks.
Brian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store