125 Gallon Discus Build.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Will start posting pictures tomorrow. Standard 125 gallon tank, freshly re-sealed. This is a long term build...not pushing any time frame. First decision input will be on two pieces of driftwood. Like them both...may even use both.

Double Mag 360 canister filters. Common suction; both returning to the tank at the opposite end through spray bars. T-shaped across top of tank and down the center of one end. Low level lighting, just strong enough for some vals....quiet LED for most evening viewing.

Dither for true top level fish and a few for the bottom to help clean up uneaten food.

Discus being brought in will be approximately 3"...not attempting to breed at all....complete display tank.

Have 55 gallon barrel for pre-treating water as needed. Will post tap levels in a week or so.

Desire greyish/white substrate...extremely fine gravel...read that again.. extremely fine gravel or a sand even if mixed from several styles to get desired effect.

Dithers, top and bottom.... active but mildly so to maximize comfort of the discus to be out and roaming.

Plan on this tank being up and running 3-4 months to settle before attempting to introduce Discus.

This isn't my first run at them... but it has been about 10 years since last maintaining them.

Looking for all input and suggestions.

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
It looks like you got this all under control with a plan to go along with it. Maybe put some pictures of the driftwood up to see? IMO driftwood and discus together in a tank looks really nice from what I seen in pictures. So I would say to use both pieces if there is going to be still plenty swimming room.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
It looks like you got this all under control with a plan to go along with it. Maybe put some pictures of the driftwood up to see? IMO driftwood and discus together in a tank looks really nice from what I seen in pictures. So I would say to use both pieces if there is going to be still plenty swimming room.
Yes Duckie, Bob seems to have it fully under control, and I agree it would be great if he posted a pic of the driftwood so we could have a peek.
And Bob, what kind of top level dithers are you thinking about ? - If it's Hatchet fish, be sure to incorporate a tank top to stop these discus-compatible, but notorious jumpers from leaving the tank. LOL

And greyish-white substrate - it'll look great with DW & Discus - strongly suggest you get nothing but true pool filter sand, obtained only from a pool/spa supply store. I use white/grey # 20 grade quartz-based silica PFS in all my tanks - it's dense enough, uniformly shaped (no sharp edges- great for Corydoras), easy to keep clean, doesn't free-float into the water column when disturbed, and will not get siphoned up when vacuuming with a normal aquarium vac tool.
Really looking forward to following your build on this, Bob.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I want to follow too.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
First piece, and my favorite. Any sharp edges will be rounded with a file.... this piece will take up almost 1/2 the tank length and full height.

DSC_0163.JPG

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Second piece...long and low.....

DSC_0166.JPG

DSC_0167.JPG

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
comparison

DSC_0168.JPG

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Nice, both pieces are pretty. If you want to only use one, I would suggest the first one. Closer in my mind how the Amazon looks underwater. Maybe put not quite in the middle, but somewhat offset. Later if you find them you could supplement with other thin sticks on the more open side. Both pieces you have would clash in style a little, let alone use up the tank completely lengthwise.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yep..was leaning with one or the other this last week.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Will do a trip to Carolina Discus, Paul, in a couple three weeks. Looks like he has some great stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store