125... Sinking driftwood..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
First off, hello to those that know me!
( been awhile)

Secondly, I am setting up a 125, had sand substrate, and I'm sinking driftwood directly in the tank.
I filled the tank yesterday, and am running a Rena fill star canister rated for 175 gallons, two Hob rated for 40-60 gallons as well.

I had my driftwood soaking, and partially sank, and threw it in, and weighted with rocks.

It filled pretty clear until I fired of the filters.
It was cloudy, and almost looked like sand rolling through. ( if you ever filled a sand bottom tank you know what I mean)
It also had a nice shade of tannin brown this morning, but still had the rolling cloud.
I've checked to see if any of the "streams" are hitting sand, and none are, and I really can't seem to figure out why it won't settle.
I did a 75% water change today, and it's cleared considerably, but I also didn't fire up any of the filtration.
I'm going to let it sit, until it settles, and then kick on filtration again.
I have no live stock in there, and will cycle once it's cleared.
I didn't add any chemicals yet, and tested my water, which is in perfect parameters currently.. ( I have good water)

I'm sure it's not sand... Any suggestions as to what the "rolling cloud" could be!? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Maybe a bacteria bloom from the wood? Yeah, I agree the filters should have taken care of that. I recently set up a 180, and my water was cloudy for several days even with the sump running. Then one day it just cleared up.

alan01230

AC Members
Oct 3, 2015
probally from the wood did you clean first? I drop a large piece of driftwood in my 50 breeder and it took about a week then it just turned crystal clear

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
probally from the wood did you clean first? I drop a large piece of driftwood in my 50 breeder and it took about a week then it just turned crystal clear
I did clean it, it's fairly large, so, I washed it with hot water in my tub, then soaked it in a rubber maid tub for 2 days.
It was in one of my tanks before, it's staying a little hazy.
I just hate to kee doing water changes on this large of a tank( daily).
That's a lot of water! Lol

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Maybe a bacteria bloom from the wood? Yeah, I agree the filters should have taken care of that. I recently set up a 180, and my water was cloudy for several days even with the sump running. Then one day it just cleared up.
I am letting the filters off for 24 hours, and will start them back up tom.
I'll see what happens.
I just knew it wasn't sand, because it was clear until I added the driftwood. I also, used a garbage bag and glasses to weight it down, so there was no sand stirred up..
I hate waiting on tanks to clear! Lol

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Hate this process >< just gotta do small water changes and wait it out. Rinsing filter media in a bucket of aquarium water to get the dust out seems to help. Good luck!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Are you sure the Driftwood is causing the issue? Maybe the sand?

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Are you sure the Driftwood is causing the issue? Maybe the sand?
I don't think the driftwood is the actual problem.
I don't think it's sand in the water column, because I had it clear, and no issues until I turned on the filters.
The driftwood is adding to the cloud problem with the tannins.
That rely can't be avoided. It's to large to repetivly boil.
I'm lost as to what the problem may be. It's a new fill.

judgemax

I once was lost...
Feb 18, 2005
bellefonte PA
Real Name
Julie Probst
Hate this process >< just gotta do small water changes and wait it out. Rinsing filter media in a bucket of aquarium water to get the dust out seems to help. Good luck!
I rinsed all the media prior to placing it, and rinsed it again when I did the water change.
I had to do. 75% water change, to actually effect a change.
I can't do that daily .. That's wasting a ton of water

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The filter could be stirring up the extra fine particles in the sand. I'd pill all media in your filters except for extra fine pads or stuff them with floss to aid physically clearing it out....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store