125g build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mjordan29

AC Members
Dec 20, 2009
Hey all, after about four years away from the hobby I am back. When I was in high school I sold on here and on aquabid and ran 25+ tanks in my parents basement. Now I am married and missing my fishy friends (told the wife no dogs yet).

I self taught myself breeding which consists of lots of bare bottom single species tanks, java moss, and sponge filters. Yes it more complicated than that but you get the point.

I just bought a 125g tank and stand and will be reinforcing the floor in a month or so. What I want to try with this tank seems rather ambitious. Please let me know what you think as I have never done anything like this before.

Big box fish stores operate on having one central system. They pump "clean" water in and then tank water drains out through a grid back towards the filter. What if I drilled the tank (never done it before but I am sure I can do it) and sealed with silicone some pvc to the hole (sponge in hole to make sure I dont lose any fish). I allowed "excess" water to drain as waste water. So my RO system (already own from back in the day) would drip a couple drops a minute (unknown ideal flow at this time) and displacement says that an equal amount of tank water will drain out of the pvc. I will still syphon the gravel and such, I am just looking for a tank that will get two water changes a week but for me to only have to do one manually.

Highly planted tank
medium light
CO2
Some driftwood with java moss
6 Discus
6 Apisto of some sort or GBR
25 Cardinal tetras or neon tetras
20 Oto catfish (yes I will supplement their diet)

I really don't love canister filters so I will probably run either 2 large sponge filters and a HOB. Or 2 HOBS and a large sponge filter. Plus I will have continuous water turn over from the RO system feeding the tank.

I still have a lot of my tanks at my parents house. I will probably bring a few to my house as quarantine tanks. Also if any Discus or Apistos decide they want to pair off and start laying eggs then the breeder in me says they will get a new tank (10g for apistos and 29h for discus).

Think it'll work?
Why or why not?

Jordan Danko

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I see a few wrinkles...

One, the volume you describe sounds way too low. Your overflow will lose a percentage of new water along with the old water giving you a net replacement that is very low.

Two, straight RO water is too low in TDS and unstable as it has all the buffers filtered out. While the fish you'll be keeping like low tds water, zero TDS will cause some osmoregulation issues for the fish. Water wth zero buffering capacity is subject to drastic ph drops which can kill your biofilter.

Auto-change and auto-top-off systems can work. They often wind up more complicated than they're worth, IMO.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store