15 gallon paludarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
first island planting

couldn't wait any longer. even with another plant on the way, I wanted to get these mangroves back in soil and see if they'll survive some freshwater. my hopes aren't high, and frankly I think they're too large. I have a better feeling about the Lemon Bacopa on the way. the island is planted with some gravel from the old tank mixed with flora base as a deeper layer (completely submerged) and then the rest is filled with a good amount of eco-complete. I planted it hung on the side of a box, it was really easy, nice to not have to do it in tank. I clipped a few small holes in the screen and pushed the larger of the mangrove roots out through the holes so they would be free to grow into the water column.

I topped it all off with moss samples I've collected lately... not sure what if any of that will survive once I begin transitioning to brackish waters. if they die I'll replace them with something more appropriate. for now, they play the role of erosion control.

KICX2285.JPG KICX2288.JPG KICX2293.JPG KICX2295.JPG KICX2297.JPG

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So very very cool!!!

Of course it smells bad...it's a SWAP!

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
lol nice setup, what kind of smell is it?

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
:D :grinyes: hmm quite an odd mixture.

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
Actually what are you using for a filtration system and how many compartments do you have. If you can I would be running a spones in the first, ceramic noodles in the second and carbon in the third. If you can add a polishing pad just before the outflow as a last bit. Should help with the smell and any unwanted stuff in the water. However do not dose any nutrients for the plants till you remove the carbon as you will be wasting them.

It is looking good and is a great idea. Which I have to say thank-you for as I have gotten some interesting ones for my 65 gallon tall. Going to be copying this slightly however the idea will be to make it look like you are in the deep part of the water looking towards a shore/overhang. So water up to the top of the tank, low growth plants on the shelf and the taller growth plants in the foreground, and cave structures under the overhang. I know it breaks the planting 'rules but think it will look very interesting and slightly realistic. I owe the idea for it to you!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
hey thanks! nice to hear it gave you an idea. I've seen pics of your 65 before, so I think I know where you are heading... gonna make the shelf where the stone is on the left? you could probably integrate your filter return into it if you're crafty. I think it will look great with small plants up there... and probably a good way to cultivate light lovers like glosso... I want to do the same thing sometime in a bigger tank. caves underneath etc. if I had unlimited money and space, I'd be working on a version for mudskippers with a beach... but for now, I'll stick to crabs in my little tank.

the filter... is a Tom's Mini Rapids cannister. it's only 80gph, and is small, about the size of a tupperwear container that you'd put a box of cheezits in. it's nice for the size, but is small. the only reason I'm running charcoal in it is because it's new and came with the charcoal. it's actually a floss bag filled with activated charcoal dust, that is replacable. I've spoken at length with people at Tom's on the phone, and they think foam inserts would work fine... but don't make any for the filter, so it'll be DIY. the filter only has 2 compartments... so I'll probably run ceramic in one and foam in the other... maybe wrap the outflow tube (inside the 2nd chamber, wrapped with floss bag/carbon currently) with floss, then have foam blocks with a hole down the center... so the filter runs ceramic > foam > floss... I'd love to run foam > ceramic > floss, but the second compartment has the return tube running to the bottom, in the center, and I think it would be impossible to pack it and get the cover on with a bunch of ceramic beads in the way.

also, I'll probably find a small foam intake strainer cover for the intake. currently it just has a basket. I've had no luck finding mini foam intake covers, I'm currently making my own from blocks for one tank, and they UGLY... and on my 10 I have a ginormous sponge filter foam tube... but it's way too big.

someone needs to make 1" round 3" tall foam intake covers... but I've never seen em.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store