15 gallon paludarium build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
Actually there are some out there... some people use the Hagen foam filter sponges for their intake tubes. The ones that are for breeding tanks and the like. What I do for the intake tube is wrap a FLuval Sponge insert for their 3+ system and then clamp it with a magnetic clip that is desigend for holding large intake tubes (magclip is the name of the clip). I do have to cut down the sponge so there is only a small amount of overlap.

Also the tank I am putting the shelf idea in is a new tank that is 24" tall the 65 I have set up is 19" tall. There will be a pair of powerheads under the shelf to create loads of current for the plecos and the hillstream loaches that I want to put in there, so another reason that the shelf will be good... will help direct the current.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yeah, I'm not interested in wrapping and clipping or any of that ghetto action... and most sponge filters are way larger than the need to be as an intake cover. I'm looking for a decent looking piece, and I've scoured sites looking... no one seems to make an intake cover foam that isn't the size of a soda or bigger.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
island replant

I got my lemon bacopa yesterday, and it looked healthy and big, but it was a lot more vine like than I had expected. I thought it stood up... but anyway, I threw it in some water to rest for the night, and today thought it looked like some of the branches were browning a bit, and it needed to be planted before I went away for the weekend, so I took the island out and did a quick replant. I'm happy with what I did, in the time I did it in, but think I'll either be doing a lot of trimming once I see what is growing and how, or I'll be rethinking the whole island.

the bacopa smells GREAT and is a nice plant, just not sure if it's right for the spot. the mangroves, as appropriate as they are, are neither looking awesome, the right size for the tank, nor easy to deal with. I feel like every time I cough, a leaf falls off... and they just don't have enough low growth. they also make moving the island a lot harder.

so, here's what we have today.

KICX2325.JPG KICX2330.JPG KICX2332.JPG KICX2334.JPG KICX2336.JPG

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
well, for anyone who's still interested, this idea partially failed tonight. the twigs and branches that came from behind the driftwood and supported the shelf all released over time, and began to hang in the water. I think it was the wet twigs just not holding to silicone. perhaps epoxy or some putty would have been a better choice.

I decided to pull the island out and see how bad things were. the shelf itself is in great condition, and the driftwood is still partially attached to the shelf. All of the branches and twigs came right off in my hand. without the branches as supports, I can no longer hold it by the driftwood without it starting to break.

for now, I removed the mangroves that were planted in the island, and put it back in without the branches. it actually doesn't look so bad, and lets more light down to the plants. I am planning on giving it more support, and perhaps using some rigid connector to form a beam from the back of the shelf to the bottom of the driftwood, to keep it solid. I'd ditch the driftwood all together, but then the crab would have no way to the top... which was the whole goal.

while things were apart, I also swapped the carbon floss bag in the filter out in favor of a big tube of foam, that just barely fit in the canister. I also replaced all the corrugated hose with 13/16 eheim hose, and added a sponged tip to the intake. the flow is a lot better.

Dread

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
Sorry to hear about the latest news, however the pictures you posted recently look amazing. While most aquariums and such just aim to be pretty and functional, your creation is whats stated above, and natural looking, as well. I didn't read over this whole thread, so I'm unsure of what you're planning on stocking it with, but it just reminds me so much of this Cardinal Tetra tank I saw at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. With the tannin-stained water, and the branches and all. Great job so far, I hope things go as you want them to!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
Thanks! I got some epoxy putty from the LFS today, and can't wait to start to repair the branches in the island area. it is actually way easier to get in the tank to clean without the branches, but it looks a bit bare. I think I'm going to simplify it a bit, but add back some of the support that I removed last week. I'm getting so close to calling it done...

also, the Lemon Bacopa is doing great... what an AWESOME plant. smells like lemon, grows well above and below the waterline, can handle brackish water.. what beats that!?!

shekissesfrogs

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2005
That mangrove shelf is an awesome idea!! Don't give up! You can replace the suction cups with Nickel Cadnium magnets, they will hold but you will have to figure out the size you need for the weight. They are so strong if they slap together on the glass they will break it.

Also You can buy NiCd magnet holders for power heads instead of using suction cups- and other stuff.
There's plenty of DIY projects using NiCds in reef aquariums but you have to coat them with acrylic because Cadmium is one of the most toxic metals & your fish will die a horrible death.

The aquarium putty you bought in the lfs is available at home depot and lowes in the glue and silicone area for less than half the price.
You can stain it with some dye rit dye (the powder) or even food coloring, just dip it in the powder when you are mixing it up. Its all non toxic, the color always comes out lighter so choose a darker shade, & its messy & stains everything so gloves and newspaper is advisable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store