150 Stocking List?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrunchyLobster123

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Hello everyone, Tuesday ill be acquiring a 150gal and im curious what everyone thinks about this stocking list? I do plan to upgrade to a 210 in 2-3 years. All of these fish will be starting out quite young (other than the tiger barbs and Green Phantom)

Stock:
Geophagus Tapajos x8
Clown Loach x7
Pictus Catfish x6
Fire Eel x1
Tiger barb x15-20
Green Phantom Pleco x1

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
When adults over stocked. The clown loaches will take years to reach full size but at 4 years they will be around 6 inches and eventually grow to 8 to 12 inches. The fire eel can grow to 3 ft and the geo 6 to 8 inches - but all three will compete for bottom space. I'm just not sure there is enough space for all three and a 210 really isn't much larger. Certainly initially there will be plenty of space when they are all small.... you could start the tank and then rehome some when you run out of space. Of the group i belive the geo will be most aggressive esp if they pair up and start breeding.

Reactions: CrunchyLobster123

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Too many geos & bottom fish as jake said. I'm sure as juveniles that doesn't seem like many. Maybe skip the eel & just a pair of geos...maybe 2 pairs at most & many, many hiding places.

Pictus were the fish that attracted me to aquaria many years ago but I've never kept them yet, lol, 40+ years later. They may be able to snack on the barbs, harrass the geos & eat any eggs or fry. Geos are fairly mellow for cichlids...I'm not sure pictus are at all mellow, I just don't know but wouldn't trust them too far. Long whiskers & a fairly wide mouth says nocturnal predators. Have a back up plan!

All in all you have mostly bottom or low level swimmers. You'll need to compare temp. preferences too. The loaches & I think pleco like fairly high temps ~80F. The barbs, cichlids & maybe pictus would like it a bit cooler. You can keep fish at the "wrong" temp but they may not live as long (too high) or be very active (too cold).

Think some more, you have a very nice sized tank but need to stock for the long term. Maybe some of the "mid sized" 5 inch barbs like mascara etc or larger rasboras; rainbows? I don't know. Research! You've got time to make better choices.

And we're going to need pics!

CrunchyLobster123

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Too many geos & bottom fish as jake said. I'm sure as juveniles that doesn't seem like many. Maybe skip the eel & just a pair of geos...maybe 2 pairs at most & many, many hiding places.

Pictus were the fish that attracted me to aquaria many years ago but I've never kept them yet, lol, 40+ years later. They may be able to snack on the barbs, harrass the geos & eat any eggs or fry. Geos are fairly mellow for cichlids...I'm not sure pictus are at all mellow, I just don't know but wouldn't trust them too far. Long whiskers & a fairly wide mouth says nocturnal predators. Have a back up plan!

All in all you have mostly bottom or low level swimmers. You'll need to compare temp. preferences too. The loaches & I think pleco like fairly high temps ~80F. The barbs, cichlids & maybe pictus would like it a bit cooler. You can keep fish at the "wrong" temp but they may not live as long (too high) or be very active (too cold).

Think some more, you have a very nice sized tank but need to stock for the long term. Maybe some of the "mid sized" 5 inch barbs like mascara etc or larger rasboras; rainbows? I don't know. Research! You've got time to make better choices.

And we're going to need pics!
Yeah I currently have the pictus, Geos, and barbs, in a 75 until the 150 is cycled. I have the Peruvian pictus which is smaller than the Colombian (Wont eat the barbs but will happily snack on fry/Eggs) my main goal isn't to breed the geos since I've done it in the past, the group I had (6) wasn't very aggressive with each other but the dominant male did a lot of bossing and chasing (reason for a large group size in this tank to spread aggression) but I'm planning that if I ever want to raise the young ill separate them and parents either with an egg crate divider or separate tank. In terms of temperature, the Geos, Loaches, and eel prefer the water to be around 82-84, the only ones that would have a problem would be the Phantom Plec and somewhat the pictus although they can both be found in the orinocco which can have some pretty high temps for quite some time. Ive also read that the tiger barbs are fine in a bit of warmer temps unlike Odessas and rosies. The only reason id upgrade to a 210 is because that's the largest tank I can find readily available around me, although if i can find a larger tank id definitely go for it. I wanted to see how the Geos raised together and if need be i could rehome as they grow.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know the "other" pictus, I'll have to look them up! It's good you have a plan if things don't work out. Unless there are other "fire eels" they get, like jake said, huge! I think there is a smaller 8-12 inch eel commonly available (not nearly as pretty) but even that is a heck of a lot of bottom/low level fish. I'd much rather have the loaches :)

Your tank is so tall at 30 inches you might want a species that swims higher a lot of the time. Most of your fish won't swim much more than 8-12 inches above the substrate most of the time. Or maybe just add some plants like java fern or anubias (that are attached to wood or rocks) & boost them up closer to the surface, or floating plants to encourage more exploring up high more often. Just a thought...

& since you already have some of the fish maybe post some pics? We love to see! (nagging, lol)

CrunchyLobster123

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
I don't know the "other" pictus, I'll have to look them up! It's good you have a plan if things don't work out. Unless there are other "fire eels" they get, like jake said, huge! I think there is a smaller 8-12 inch eel commonly available (not nearly as pretty) but even that is a heck of a lot of bottom/low level fish. I'd much rather have the loaches :)

Your tank is so tall at 30 inches you might want a species that swims higher a lot of the time. Most of your fish won't swim much more than 8-12 inches above the substrate most of the time. Or maybe just add some plants like java fern or anubias (that are attached to wood or rocks) & boost them up closer to the surface, or floating plants to encourage more exploring up high more often. Just a thought...

& since you already have some of the fish maybe post some pics? We love to see! (nagging, lol)
Yeah the Pictus are the same species but going off what planetcatfish states depending on the collection site (Peru or Colombia) one will get bigger which Ive found to be the case one does get bigger than the other. Yeah fire eels do get big it takes 2ish years to get sizeable, there are smaller species such as peacocks and half banded but I've been wanting to try a fire for a while now (I will be upgrading as the eel and other fish grow in about 2 years) I'm a sucker for bottom fish I love catfish. I'm not too big of a fan of most "middle" swimming fish like rasboras, tetras, and barbs (I like rummynose but those swim at the bottom LOL), I love bottom dwellers and then the complete opposite as the top dwellers I like are African butterflyfish and hatchetfish. Also for filtration ill have an Eheim Classic 600, Tidal 75 HOB, and im planning to turn an unused 55 into a sump system.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I love bottom feeders too especially loaches. I don't have any botia types right now, I miss them. I have hillstream loaches (sewellia lineolata) & took in some "gift" corys (& rummies). Both breed sometimes with a survivor or so once in a while, that's enough anymore. I think I'll get little Vietnamese whiteclouds again for my "riverish hillstream tank".

I did like denisoni barbs (roseline sharks, they like cooler temps), some smallish rasboras & a very few of tetra species I've kept. Tiger barbs, well, never again, lol, been there a few times. Schoolers are just to make my loaches feel secure ;)

Clown loaches broke my heart more than twice! I had to rehome my 6-8 inchers when we've moved (very sad sighs). I'm not sure I can keep them again without a plan in my will. They can live 25+ years...I'm not sure I have that much time left...I'm 65...tick, tick tick...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store