150 wood and glass tank build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice job!

stashmoney82

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
cleveland
i like the color. its different than the normal boring black that you normally see with plywood tanks. did the paint come that color or did they tint it for you?

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
Very neat. Ive been watching and waiting for water lol. It takes time. And where in AMERICA cant you do DIY projects after 7pm! ooooo old-rida lmao. foogies gotta watch the news huh?

Im gonna give this thread to my fiance's mom she DIY's everything! she wants Stingrays. at least 75g I told her.

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
awsome project, I'm looking at a 300g plywood, cept mine I plan on doing FW.

Got a question though, aimed at both you an sploke, is a fiberglass layer really needed? I know epoxy paint doesn't hold up well to nicks and such, but if care was taken and you didn't have tank busting fish, could you get away with not using the stuff?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I only used fiberglass on the corner seams on mine, because I had screwed from the inside out into the frames. I used the fabric to help seam the screw heads. You could probably get away with just painting all the sides and then siliconing the seams and get a good seal if you didn't have any holes to fill, or if you filled them with putty and sanded them down.

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
Very neat. Ive been watching and waiting for water lol. It takes time. And where in AMERICA cant you do DIY projects after 7pm! ooooo old-rida lmao. foogies gotta watch the news huh?

Im gonna give this thread to my fiance's mom she DIY's everything! she wants Stingrays. at least 75g I told her.
deeded community home owners association "no constuction after 7 pm" lmao

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
awsome project, I'm looking at a 300g plywood, cept mine I plan on doing FW.

Got a question though, aimed at both you an sploke, is a fiberglass layer really needed? I know epoxy paint doesn't hold up well to nicks and such, but if care was taken and you didn't have tank busting fish, could you get away with not using the stuff?
i agree with sploke you could get by with out fiberglassing the whole tank. but this tank will have ALLOT of live rock in it so i didn't want to risk it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store