18 year old pleco suddenly got bigger?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You have great parents if they're doing weekly water changes for you in your absence.

Or like said, maybe they're not and they did the ol' one-two switch-a-roo on you. LOL!

A fella on another forum I used to participate on had a very old common pleco he kept in a 55gal by itself. One day he found it passed, wedged between the glass and a piece of driftwood IIRC. He assumed it got stuck and died from that.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Uh oh we may have overwhelmed the OP with our fun ideas.

I don't see why a "common" pleco couldn't live for that long. Unfortunately I've rarely lived in any 1 place for 18+ years as an adult fish keeper. Moving house, even just across town can be stressful to both people & fish. But most plecos are pretty sturdy & resilient, given good food & water.

I'm giving the OP's parents a pass on the old switcheroo...Maybe it's their good care that has allowed the pleco to live so long & so big.

Klayski, I think you're going to have to update us regularly with pics if you can every few months maybe. We are all hoping he continues to grow & thrive for whatever reason.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store