1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

20g long Neolamprologus multifasciatus Journal 9/2011

Discussion in 'African Rift Lake Cichlids' started by iheartbettas, Oct 1, 2011.

1. iheartbettas

iheartbettas AC Members

Bernie
    It's a 20g Long with 8 multi's. Coralife normal output t-5 lighting. Going to either leave the lighting off during the day or add some marimo balls. Not sure yet.

One aqueon filter and one 100W theo heater. I got the fish from a local breeder.

Behavior: There are two larger multis. I believe these to be male. One of which sort of dominates the tank. The other is kind of staying in the corner. The one in the corner is kind of shunned from the colony, but i see other fish sort of come visit him, even the other larger multi. They're not really aggressive to each other, but it just looks awkward when they meet.

The other multis usually hang around a shell, and swim casually. When the dominant multi swims near, these other multis kind of pick on him a little bit. Sometimes this gets his attention, and sometimes it doesn't. Not sure if these are females or what. They could be males for all I know.

No significant digging noted but I have seen the multis take the sand in their mouths and move it around.

I will update this journal when anything "significant" happens. Comments and feedback are appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the full tank shot.
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2291 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

random multi
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2294 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

in hiding (you can see the larger multi in the background)
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2319 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

hanging out i guess
    [​IMG]
    IMG_2311 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

2. londonloco

londonloco AC Members

Nice tank. If you have a male that has been "ousted" from the colony, I'd suggest arranging the rocks in the left hand corner in a semi circle, forming another area. Put a few shells in there, you might have a female come join him. If that doesn't work, you should consider rehoming him. Just a thought.

3. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

Very cool! I hope to get some of these soon!! Great pics!

4. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Looks like they've settled in nicely!

5. Pittbull

Pittbull ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS

Mike
    Nice

6. iheartbettas

iheartbettas AC Members

Bernie
    Thanks for the kind words:

Just a quick update: Originally, one of the larger of the two males appeared to be ousted from the colony. I was surprised because the larger one was ousted.

More recently, it appears as though the roles have been reversed and the larger multi is in the colony, and the smaller of the two is ousted. I do see a few nips on his fins, and the two males clash occasionally, but nothing too major. It is fascinating to watch, although I really want more to see babies out of one of the females (if they are females). The other smaller multies just hang out above shells and interact a little with each other and the dominant male. They are all eating flake food and have dug up the substrate recreating the landscape. They're an interesting species to watch to say the least.

7. efors

efors AC Members

Beautiful brightly colored shells! What kind of shells are those?

8. Fozzybear

Fozzybear wocka wocka wocka!

Ellis
  9. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    Agreed, I love the look of escargot shells myself and the multis seemed to like them as well.

10. efors

efors AC Members