30 Gallon reef stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
So I am planning to start a 30gal reef tank. It is my first ever saltwater tank I haven't even begun setting it up because I still want to research some more things. So give me some ideas on stocking and some easier corals. Also any general tips or suggestions for keeping a reef tank are appreciated!

I will probably update this threads with pictures of the set up and everything once I am ready.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
cant wait to see your build, i am also going through a build, my 20 long. i hope soon the add a CUC and then fish

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Way too many options and some livestock will be dependent on your setup (particularly, flow and lighting).

Easier corals that can stand some nutrients and lower (but not standard fluorescent) lighting are mushrooms, ricordea, zoanthids (zoas), palythoa (palys), xenia, leathers, acans, favias, duncans, euphyllia (frogspawns, torch, hammer, etc.), and chalices. Note that some of the easist corals like shrooms and xenia can grow very quickly and become invasive so be sure you like them before you add them. While some SPS (small polyp stoney) corals are not overly difficult, I would just avoid SPS until later. Also avoid clams, anemones and non-photosynthetic corals as these need a mature tank, typically require strong lighting and in the case of the latter, lots of food and typically temperate conditions.

Typical/reasonable fish options include clowns (percula or occelaris only), smaller blennies, gobies, pygmy angels, basslets/grammas, small warsse, and dartfish. Be sure to research specific fish for compatibility with each other, corals and inverts.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If you provide more details about your equipment, it will allow for much better answers.

Many of the online vendors provide minimum (and it really is the minimum in most cases) tank sizes for fish, a few even have livestock sorted into a smaller tank / nano friendly fish category.

Generally speaking though, the more stable you can keep the conditions in your tank, the better off you are likely to be. Keeping a relatively close watch on salinity / specific gravity (topping off with freshwater frequently in smaller volumes vs infrequently with larger volumes), alkalinity, calcium, and temperature will go a long way toward being successful. Additionally, taking your time and stocking your tank over a decent period of time will help prevent stressing the system. Small changes tend to equate to larger rewards when it comes to reef tanks. Establish a good maintenance schedule early on and stick with it. There will be bumps in the road along the way, but don't get discouraged -- I know long time hobbyists with incredible tanks that still have battles along the way. Time invested in your reef can ultimately keep you from spending as much money when your first starting out and learning. After awhile, upgrades and fancy tank tech will becoming tempting, if a larger tank doesn't catch your eye first. :)

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
Sorry guys i forgot to mention this - i dont have any equipment yet so if you have suggestions fire away!
I plan on getting a heater a protein skimmer a powerhead of course lights and for filtration i already have a sump system ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store