1. Please double check and update your email address --> http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
    Dismiss Notice

40 gallon breeder tank a nice upsize from a 20 gallon high tank?

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by allecb, May 17, 2009.

1. allecb

allecb AC Members

6 neon tetras
    3 platys/mollies (dont know which)
    4 serpae tetras
    2 tiger barbs

obviously in a 20 im gonna be reachin my limits real soon if i get more tiger barbs..and when they get older im screwed.

so im thinking about getting a 40 gallon. 50-55 is a bit too much space wise for me right now. but theres an ad on craigslist for a 40 gallon BREEDER tank, which comes with everythig i need except water and fish for 50 bucks..i dont know if i should jump on this or not cause i dont know if itll be that big of a difference for the fish and the space ill have?

a 40 gallon breeder is only about 12 inches longer than my 20 gallon, and itll be 6 inches wider. however a 40 gallon long is like 20-24 inches longer than a 20 gallon, but theres none on craigslist currently.

would the 40 g breeder be alright? or is it a waste of time? cause i know these types of fish need swim room, and i feel like they wont get much swim room if its not length wise? i'd plan on getting a handful more of each species of fish that i already have (besides the plat/mol) and maybe get a blue ram in there too.

2. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    love 40 gal breeders!

3. ChrisK

ChrisK AC Members

Yes I would say that would be a very nice upgrade with enough space for the fish you want to keep.

4. OldMan47

OldMan47 I love my endlers

One of my favorite tanks is my 40 breeder. It gives as much space for the fish as a 55 without the long footprint. The only thing it is missing is the height of a show tank. Unless you keep tall fish like angels or discus, the height is not an issue but the swimming room is.

5. kj5kb

kj5kb KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES

Don
    Go get it!

great tank if you can find a place to put it. Mine is on a dresser...old, hefty hardwood dresser...

6. OldMan47

OldMan47 I love my endlers

They fit very nicely on a stand made for them Kj5kb.

7. bushwhacker

bushwhacker old school newbie

heck yeah go grab that tank