And so it begins....again after about a 4 year hiatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I don't know what happened but overnight I got bit by a bug...one that gave me fish fever after about a 4 year hiatus.
So a few days ago, I dug out my 10g and 1g tanks I'd stashed away. For giggles, I put some ghost shrimp in the 10g. I only have 7 (that was all my LFS had left) but I may get more later, and planted (and by plant, I mean, simply stuffed the roots in the gravel, I don't have plant food, lights or CO2 yet) some dwarf hairgrass and Bacoba in there for the shrimps to hide and crawl on.
Well, of course that didn't satiate my desire so today I picked up a 55g FW setup from a friend's neighbor.
I've got everything situated where I want it, but I'm frothing at the bit trying to decide what I'm gonna put in this 55g. Do I wanna try my hand at planted? Do I wanna try a bigger fish than I'm used to? It's a blank slate and I'm excited as all get out but overwhelmed.
I need input!!! Gimme ideas!!! :)

image.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome back! Nice looking setups. Lots of possibilities there. If you're up to the task of having some plants, you'll want to have the proper hardware and accessories before you get the plants.

How do you intend to cycle?

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I have no idea. I still need to figure out what KIND of tank I want so I can figure out what kind of substrate to get. I also need to test this HOB filter that came with to see if it works. It looks pretty beat up (Aqueon 55) and I don't know when the last time it was used.
I also need to test the lights and clean up the lid. Lots of work to do and figuring out before setting up.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds good.

You can get some really good 36-48" T5HO or LED plant lighting mail-order for cheap. Same goes with canister filters. In regards to HOBs, the only one I'll buy or recommend is AquaClear because of their media simplicity/flexibility. You can't beat simple eBay sponge bubbler filters as well. I like to have them as additional tank filtration, plus you can pull one once it's got some miles on it, drop it into a brand new tank and you're instantly cycled and ready to go.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I have no experience with sponge filters, but after looking them up after you mentioned them, they look interesting and seem like a good way to go, especially if I end up with fry. I've only dealt with HOB filters, never canisters.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think if you want to do a planted tank with this one, then I would recommend looking at how much money/effort you want to put into it. Plants can take a lot or very little depending on what you want to do. Is there anything that you really want or really don't want?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Plant or no plant, the substrate is where you want to start. Decide on color first (Black, white, natural, ect). You can always add root-food later.

ina1032

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
I had a cat litter pail full of aquarium gravel that I put down as the bottom layer and then I bought 2 bags of Eco-Complete and that made a good 1.5-2 inch layer on top. So now I just need to buy plant bulbs and get a filter up and running. I'm just waiting on my money tree to spit out more cash. :)
I think the only think I'm a little unsure of is the whole co2 injection system. I haven't researched it enough or priced it to see if it's something I want to get into.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
There are lots of plants that you won't need to add CO2 for. Anubias, Crypts, Java moss, Java fern, depending on lighting you could get away with Vals and Swords as well.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think checking what sort of light fixtures you have on the 55 would be prudent.. before worrying about plant spectrum, knowing how much light will be produced by them will have an effect on what will or will not grow, it also looks like there may be a lot of light coming in through the window, if so that may have an effect also potentially causing algae.

and, please please please, find something that will provide the 10g tank with more vertical support below the edges, I'm worried that the weight might be too much for that shelf.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store