Angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bythesea

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2015
After many years,about 2 months we decided to start a freshwater tank.We have a 50 gallon.1 angel,1pleco.We adoped these 2 fish as they have been tank mates for 4 plus years.We also have 9 barbs.We purchased these before we took in our other 2.

My question is,our angel hasn't been eating? We were wondering what could be causing this?Any suggestions on how to fix this?Downsize? Add another another angel?

Any help would be appreciated!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
WTF... Over.

I'm kidding.. Welcome to the board.

My guess is your newly introduced barbs brought in some type of illness, parasite, etc.. that has effected your angel fish. The most dangerous thing we do is add new fish into a tank.

Bythesea

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2015
Thank you!
Excuse the errors!

I should clarify we had the barbs before the others!They have grown quite a bit!Could this be the issue?
The angelfish was very lively.So much personality!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Does your angel seem to be behaving normally in every other way? If so, why not try some different food. Perhaps some yummy blood worms would be tempting.

Bythesea

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2015
We had the barbs well before the AngelFish.These past few weeks he rarely eats and keeps to himself.Previously he or she would come to the tank when we came near,ate a lot...now nothing.We have introduced new food,even blood worms.Nothing seems to be working.

I'm thinking the gold barbs have gotten bigger these past few weeks and he feels stressed by them.

What do you think?Any suggestions?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
There is something going on with the angelfish internally because the general level of confidence/aggression towards other fish will stay the same unless it gets sick. A size change in other fish is not significant in changing an angelfish's food drive. Some angelfish are not aggressive in general, and may be pushed away from food by more aggressive fish, but the interest in food does not go away because of that.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I cleaned up the thread for you. If your angelfish refuses live foods like brine shrimp or black worms, then it is a very sick fish (likely internal as snakeice mentioned)

Bythesea

Registered Member
Jul 16, 2015
I cleaned up the thread for you. If your angelfish refuses live foods like brine shrimp or black worms, then it is a very sick fish (likely internal as snakeice mentioned)
Thank you so much!Im new to this forum stuff!

Is there anything that we can do to help him?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store