Angry Blue fish And hungry red fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishgirls

Registered Member
Sep 23, 2015
my kid wanted 2 fish, went to the store and got 2 beta?) female fish cause we're told male will fight .
The thing that happening now is that the blue girl swimming after the red one, waving her arms( donno the English word sorry) and become bigger. She also steal the food from the red.
Do you know thAt behavior ? What should we do?
Thanks

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Bettas are very territorial fish. The males are killers. The females can be also. It depends on the individual fish. I don't suggest keeping bettas together. They can usually manage to kill each other.
I think the English word you are looking for is fins.
Best idea is to separate the fish into two different tanks.

Caspan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2015
If you just got the fish most stores would be happy to let you return one for store credit. I would return one to the store or find a friend with a tank that does not have a Betta fish. I would be more upset that the store let you buy 2 of them knowing this. Unless you have a 30 G tank so each has their own space one will dominate the other and bite at its fins or food starve it.

Survival of the fittest!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A sorority can be achieved with nothing but females, just requires the right size tank and sufficient décor.

Reactions: Duckie
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
What I have heard about sororities is that it requires several betta, but I have never tried a sorority so I can't be certain. I did have a very similar situation to what you described, with a blue and a red female betta, blue going after red. What size tank do you have? I ended up putting a divider in my 10 gallon, although I do recall having to cut it to fit. They never seemed to bother each other through the divider.
Brian

BambooShark

Registered Member
Oct 21, 2015
Never put 2 beta together. Male or female, (unless you know a lot about breeding) they will try to kill each other. I know close to nothing about fish keeping (I'm new) but I do know not to do this. If you decide to put two tanks next to each other they will hit at the glass and end up dying. If you do get two beta, buy two tanks, and separate them so they can't see each other.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
As Bishop said, it can be done, but you would need 1) A bigger tank. 2) A few more females, not just 2

BambooShark

Registered Member
Oct 21, 2015
Never put 2 beta together. Male or female, (unless you know a lot about breeding) they will try to kill each other. I know close to nothing about fish keeping (I'm new) but I do know not to do this. If you decide to put two tanks next to each other they will hit at the glass and end up dying. If you do get two beta, buy two tanks, and separate them so they can't see each other.
Sorry, I meant If you have one male (and are planning not to breed the beta) don't put any fish with it. All females might work, but I have yet to read an article about that.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
When I was young, I use to breed bettas by the hundreds. I kept all my females (and some younger males) together in a 20gal without problems. Once, I detected a maturing male, I would tak it out and put into a jar. I had lots of jars of ugly males, but always left the females in the 20gal together without any problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store