Aquatic Gardens 6.6 gallon Bookshelf Aquarium Review

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Does anyone know if it is actually safe to put one of these things on a bookshelf... shelf? I have a 7ft bookshelf and I was planning on putting this on the middle shelf... but I wanted to check and see if that was a good idea..?:goldfish:

ThePatiences

Registered Member
Nov 5, 2008
Filter Instructions

Does anyone happen to have the instructions that came with filter? It sounds like they're not so good, but we bought the last tank at Petco (sample model) and it didn't come with instructions.

Also, it sounded like they would be discontinuing this tank!

Thanks in advance!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Also, it sounded like they would be discontinuing this tank!
Hmm, that's interesting. I ordered one from fish.com several weeks ago, and it's still supposedly sitting in the warehouse. Customer service says they're "working on it." :huh:

tbirdie

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Hmm, I am not sure if I still have it at home or not. I can look this afternoon. I am, however, using the filter. So I might could answer any specific questions you have. Just drop me a PM.

Scolova

AC Members
Nov 6, 2008
Texas
@ ThePatiences

I bought the last one at my Petco as well (in box) and I can tell you that there were no instructions, just what appeared to be a warning (dummy) list for the filter, i.e. don't put the whole thing inside the tank or you will be shocked. :eek:

As for replacement filter media, I picked-up one for the Tetra Whisper 10, they are almost the exact same size, but I have not tried it yet.
(This is my first tank since I was 10, my brother kept over-feeding and not cleaning.) :mad2:

It looks really nice on my small bookshelf and I am now cycling it with a few Danios.

Scolova

AC Members
Nov 6, 2008
Texas

forgot this is the pictures thread... so this is the best I could do on short notice.

(and yes either my bookshelf or my foundation is unlevel) :confused:

Scolova

AC Members
Nov 6, 2008
Texas
Just wanted to update this thread with photos of the 25w heater installed, used my dremel tool with sander to cut some of the plastic rim to make it fit, flush with the wall.
(I don't want it to be completely submerged.) fits just right and my snail loves to snuggle up next to it from time to time.

illgore_trout

AC Members
Apr 13, 2007
I too have this tank, which I originally housed some amphibians in. I am in the process of turning it into a fully planted tank with some fish. The only problem with plants is that with the decreased height I have to prune my plants more than I would like. and that amazonia substrate makes them grow so fast!

GUDSiNE

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2009
I bought this tank at PetCo for $39.99 for my baby swordtails as the old 2.5 gal tank was not doing the trick. This tank is perfect for fry as it is wide and short like a breeder tank and almost half the cost. Most breeder tanks are 10 gal shallow flat tanks and they take up a ton of space.

Breeder tanks are designed to allow the fish to swim back n forth so they grow quicker and healthier, a tall tank (while holding the same number of gallons) will hinder the fish growth and may cause internal damage to the fish because they cant swim properly or enough to develope the proper structure internally. You've seen these malformed fish at the pet store, they usually look like they have bent or arched backs and can be rather painfull for the fish.

The filter might have to be replaced to accomodate the number of fish going in the tank, I have to see how it preforms once they are born, but so far its got a good flow and makes no noise at all.

After about an hour of searching i found the filter replacement cartridge:
http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edge-cartridge-3-15-gallon/701076 001/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store