Aqueon Evolve 8 - pros/cons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Bummer. I really like this tank. Hope Aqueon will update their product line with something very comparable. I have a couple smaller glass nano tanks, but the Evolve 8 is roomier.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I can't really say much, but there are a number of very cool desktop tanks coming out from us in the next year that I think people will really like.

Terry Wade

AC Members
Oct 16, 2014
Terry here out of San Francisco CA. Just bought 2 of these great Aqueon E8 tanks last month when they were on sale for $69.99. Use one in the bathroom and one in my tiki lounge. Just ordered another for the living room (price has gone up) I have different fish and décor in each tank and under water lights and bubblers. Many have been talking about the filter, seems there is a small whole intake in the middle part left wall of the back that water will go into the filter area not just from the top. I hope in 2015 rumor is that they will come out with a larger full 10/12 gal Evolve 12 type tank. I will look around for the filter Aqueon SP 98 so I have a spare. It's amazing how my glow in the dark plants come alive with the Blue lights on. When I was a kid they only sold underwater plants now they have so many fake plants that look great and don't get all the algae build up.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
That little hole is to allow water to enter the filter should you let the water level evaporate down so low that it can no longer enter through the top intakes.

The filter will have been blowing a lot of bubbles for several days before that happens but it's just an extra fail-safe to prevent people from burning out their pumps through neglect. Gives you about one more day before the pump will be running absolutely dry.

There will be other tanks but I would be very surprised if there is anything with the Evolve name on it again.

Andy

Terry Wade

AC Members
Oct 16, 2014
I have two questions on my E 8 tanks. I just bought some of the small 5/20 gallon Bio Max ammonia reduction bags to keep filter and water looking clean. After washing the bag do I put this little bag in the left part were the filter is in front of the white carbon L filter or just drop in the larger section to the right were the small pump and heater is located? Also the return water spot from the right part that pours filter water back into the top right part of the tank is aimed straight at the top, can I angle the flow to go more into the middle of the tank or Is It best to just let the water flow back at the top of the water line. Thanks for any feedback Terry

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I would drop it in the sump section by the pump. That way it won't block the water flow through the cartridge.

I would keep the outlet facing near the surface so it creates some surface agitation. You can angle it closer to the center if you like. Surface agitation helps exchange oxygen at the surface and prevents the "oil slick" of organics that forms on the water surface in tanks without agitation.

Andy

Terry Wade

AC Members
Oct 16, 2014
Thanks again Andy. I am thinking about getting the 400 Aqueon pump to circulate the water better. Terry

Terry Wade

AC Members
Oct 16, 2014
I have a small question. With my 3 Evol 8 tanks I have a different underwater light and bubble air feature on each one. Can the air bubble thing be turned off at night as I always keep the filter going 24/7. Turning It off at night will this cause the water or fish harm or the tank to smell? I change the filter and water every 4 weeks. Have small fish. Thanks Terry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store