Are female betta Sororities really possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
Hi guys,

Like the title says:
Are female betta Sororities really possible?
Or its a lucky few fish hobbies? Would really love to try this out?

Thanks,
Patty

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
I have heard that it is possible. Never tried it myself. Could be a crap shoot. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: PattyCakes81

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use to have tanks with many female bettas. 10gals with over 20 at times.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Lots of top cover and floaters.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had as many as 5-6 female bettas at a time in my community 55g. Like said, they need space, decor and surface plants to thrive. They do develop a pecking order and shove each other around at times, but they are so darn cute and enjoyable with their beta personalities.

To do it best, keep it a female betta only tank. What I find with keeping them in a community fish setting is, when you try to feed the tank as a group, betas will severely over-eat and can/will get bloated. I've lost many to bloat that I couldn't get them out of.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I have heard that it is possible. Never tried it myself. Could be a crap shoot. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
I use to have tanks with many female bettas. 10gals with over 20 at times.
I've had 3 females in a 40G community tank. There was a pecking order, as expected with any fish, but they got along OK.
Lots of top cover and floaters.
I've had as many as 5-6 female bettas at a time in my community 55g. Like said, they need space, decor and surface plants to thrive. They do develop a pecking order and shove each other around at times, but they are so darn cute and enjoyable with their beta personalities.

To do it best, keep it a female betta only tank. What I find with keeping them in a community fish setting is, when you try to feed the tank as a group, betas will severely over-eat and can/will get bloated. I've lost many to bloat that I couldn't get them out of.
Thanks for the advice guys! Possibly going to try it out in the near future!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I have also had good luck with it as well. At one point we had 2 or 3 sororities going. Though there was one female that kept having to get moved around, because she was mean to everything, including the plants! At one point she ended up building her own bubble nest, we thought she might be a male, but then she released eggs and put them up in the nest herself. So. . . ya, but that was one out of our 15 females.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
I have also had good luck with it as well. At one point we had 2 or 3 sororities going. Though there was one female that kept having to get moved around, because she was mean to everything, including the plants! At one point she ended up building her own bubble nest, we thought she might be a male, but then she released eggs and put them up in the nest herself. So. . . ya, but that was one out of our 15 females.
Thanks for talking about your experience with female betta sororities! But man that was one mean female betta fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store