Are female betta Sororities really possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Maybe she was mean because she wanted to mate.
We did try that. Put her next to our male for a while til he built a nest, she became gravid, got the bars and all that. Put them together and she tried to kill him. So we isolated her in our 26 gal and she went all "I'm a strong, independent, woman who don't need no man." And built her own nest.

PattyCakes81

AC Members
Jun 26, 2010
Staten Island, New York
Real Name
Patricia
We did try that. Put her next to our male for a while til he built a nest, shebecame gravid, got the bars and all that. Put them together and she tried to kill him. So we isolated her in our 26 gal and she went all "I'm a strong, independent, woman who don't need no man." And built her own nest.
Omg! That's crazy!l lmao

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
So she wanted to prove that girls can do anything boys can do by building a bubble nest? Haha lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So she wanted to prove that girls can do anything boys can do by building a bubble nest? Haha lol.
We had a nest building girl too...if the boys don't do it right, what is she to do? Show him how it's done! Nothing wrong with assertive females, they know if he's not up to snuff.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
We had a nest building girl too...if the boys don't do it right, what is she to do? Show him how it's done! Nothing wrong with assertive females, they know if he's not up to snuff.
The desire to get her genes out into the world was strong! Though she didn't let him fertilize the eggs first, that would have been better from a fitness standpoint lol. We did let her tend them, until they started to decay. If I remember right she did this one or two more times, before I moved out. Happy to know she's not the only one, I thought we had a weird one. Fish personalities are so interesting

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I have had success with a betta sorortiy. I had 5 in a heavily planted 60 gal with some corys on the bottom. They got along decently well, would have a few squabbles here and there but never anything major.
The do best in odd numbers with lots of cover and broken lines of sight

petsnhobbies

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2015
Yes, Sororities are possible. Purchase your female Bettas when they are young.

Provide them with a spacious tank. With plenty of hiding places the fish can retire to.

There should be adequate vegetation. Sororities are easier to establish in community tanks where the fish are used to more fellow inhabitants.

If the Bettas do not seem to get along. Change the geography of your tank by shifting plants and other decorative items.

cmfeher

AC Members
Nov 30, 2009
Chadds Ford PA
Hi guys,

Like the title says:
Are female betta Sororities really possible?
Or its a lucky few fish hobbies? Would really love to try this out?

Thanks,
Patty
Sure it is. The key is to have a well planted tank so they can move around and still feel like they have their own private space. From experience, one female per ten gallons works well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store