best cold water fish, for a pond, to eat :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
Define "cold". If you can maintain water temps under 65 you can probably keep Brown Trout, which imo will taste better than any of the previously mentioned species. Otherwise I would say Yellow Perch.
well in the summer the temps reach 100+, while at winter it gets well below freezing.

Tilapia are generally considered the most efficient food fish as far as turning food mass into body mass in a short period of time....start with some small ones in the spring, power feed them all summer, and have a fall fish fry..
first, id like to keep the fish in the pond year round, and a stable population n whatnot. also, i think tilpia are out because of the the cold winters correct? someone please correct me if im wrong, but from a quick google search they say 70f for tilpia.

one issue i think would be the dechlorinator used in the pond. .
you my dear think to much like a tank person. this will be an actual pond.

Ohio is not always a "cold water" state. I live in PA (similar climate) and last summer when we were camping, there were scores of dead carp in the river we camp near. The water was like bath water - and that's a flowing system that theoretically should have more O2. I can only imagine how O2 depleted a closed system would be in those conditions (unless it was really deep).

All the Rock Bass, Smallmouth Bass and various sunfish we caught were none the worse for wear however. Maybe investigate those species (although Smallmouth and Rock Bass are usually riverine species). Largemouth Bass can manage at a wide variety of temps as well.
correct, the summer months get really hot. i personally would like tilpia, but i think thats out, so 2nd option i was thinking of was native blue gill and large mouth bass

loser

AC Members
May 26, 2003
Orange NYS
www.timhedden.com
Largemouth are not very delicious. I 2nd the trout if the pond stays cold enough to support them, otherwise catfish are probably your best bet. Perch, as mentioned earlier, are also yummy.

PSUsam11

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Sam
i'm from pa and there is no way a pond is going to stay cool enough for trout... my uncle has a large pond that is more than 15 feet deep and it doesn't even stay cold enough. I think a pan fish like blue gill or crappie would be the easiest. they will eat anything and are pretty hardy not to mention I think they are delicious :)

PSUsam11

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Sam
also if your pond is big enough for bass they will be able to keep your blue gill population in check so I think that would be ideal.

OrQidz

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
Why not a salt water pool? Must be some tasty marine fish that could fit the bill! (joking of course!)

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Northern Pike and Bluegill.

Pike eats Bluegill

You eats Pike.

Edit: P.S.
Start a worm farm next to the pond.
Feed worms your veggie scraps.
toss worms into pond, to feed Bluegill.
ahahaha, so true!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
well in the summer the temps reach 100+, while at winter it gets well below freezing.

first, id like to keep the fish in the pond year round, and a stable population n whatnot. also, i think tilpia are out because of the the cold winters correct? someone please correct me if im wrong, but from a quick google search they say 70f for tilpia.

you my dear think to much like a tank person. this will be an actual pond.

correct, the summer months get really hot. i personally would like tilpia, but i think thats out, so 2nd option i was thinking of was native blue gill and large mouth bass
I was referring to actual water temps, not the air temps. Factors such as depth, sun exposure, shade, etc can all greatly affect temps achieved.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
go vegetarian like me:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store