Blue tongue skink

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
This is my blue tongue skink. I've had him since he was only a few inches in length. He's super friendly and very tame, but I don't hold him a whole lot because, as a forest/burrowing species, his claws are extremely sharp. (Although I take him outside almost every day when it's 70 degrees or higher)

Blue tongue skinks are found throughout Australia and southeast Asia, but this particular one, though bred in captivity, originates from the Irian-Jaya region of Indonesia. They have no Latin name as of yet because they aren't scientifically described, but they differ from other blue tongue species in that they live in tropical rainforest habitat, and feed almost exclusively on small animals. They're also considered one of the largest blue tongues, and probably the second largest member of the skink family.

The Hot Wheels car is for size reference, I promise we weren't playing Godzilla.:D

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

Reactions: Lady JinglyJones

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Though I've never owned one, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Blue Tongue Skinks. Pretty boy

Lady JinglyJones

AC Members
Sep 30, 2015
Coast of Coromandel
Real Name
Emily
Camera Used
Ma Galaxy S4.
Blue tongues are so easy to like! He looks darling.

Bottomfeeder2

Lancelet
Aug 31, 2008
That's OK, no need to be shy; we're all friends here.

Nice critter. What do you feed him?

Funny, his diet... most blue tongues are omnivores and consume a lot of plant matter, but he's not a fan of any of it. I assume this species is more of a small creature eater.

He gets crickets, mealworms, waxworms, superworm, nightcrawlers, and small rodents, as well as high-quality meaty dogfood. He also really likes Zoo-Med canned snails!

Ashrith

AC Members
Jan 10, 2016
Funny, his diet... most blue tongues are omnivores and consume a lot of plant matter, but he's not a fan of any of it. I assume this species is more of a small creature eater.

He gets crickets, mealworms, waxworms, superworm, nightcrawlers, and small rodents, as well as high-quality meaty dogfood. He also really likes Zoo-Med canned snails!
Could I offer you a tip on the food?
stay away from canned anything, except you know dog and cat food. the stuff is zapped of all nutritional value to help preserve it and can actually cause adverse effects. I also hope you don't feed him too many waxworms, superworms or rodents cause those are incredibly fattening. Feed him a bit of fruits, try banana, my friends adores mango.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store