BN cause of death?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I think everyone is starting to get better they just attacked flakes :) I guess the angel was too aggressive to them. Now to wait a few weeks to clear everything up that they are definitely ok and stocking will continue.

kumar420

AC Members
Feb 5, 2014
Changing the water when the flakes/food hit the gravel is a little excessive. Water changes should either be weekly or based on water-testing results- its actually good to have a *little* bit of ammonia in there for the bacteria to feed on, as well as the fact that changing the water too frequently shocks the fish and causes them to be wary of you. Having the water changed every feeding is not only stressful, when they get scared they tend to poop more- contaminating the water further.

I suggest getting a master test kit and testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrite in the middle of the week (changing the water if necessary) and changing the water at the end of the week religiously, it does wonders for water quality, and helps get rid of decomposing food/poop as well as potentially nasty bacterial infections, rotted plant material and hazardous phosphates

fishay12

future fish addict
Dec 3, 2013
I have a master test kit and I usually test weekly with a 20-30% change once a week.

kahunacohen

AC Members
Jan 22, 2014
Oh no. My beloved 2 year old pleco died today. I wonder if someone can help me figure out why.
- Lightly planted, 2 LED lit, 55 gallon tank, set up several months ago
- 1 largish piece of drift wood, 1 small piece
- 12 hrs of light per day
- Light flake feeding every 2-3 days
- Water parameters: 0 Amonina, 0 Nitrites, 5-10ppm nitrates
- Weekly water changes, 30-40%
- 6 giant danios, 6 platys, 4 lemon tetras, 6 neon tetras, 4 cory cats

A few things changed over the past few weeks. I started feeding them brine shrimp, a 3.5 oz cube of frozen shrimp melted in a cup of aquarium water. I did this maybe twice a week. It seemed a bit excessive, but it's what the LFS said to do.

I cleaned the filter (aquaclear) a few days ago. I just squeezed out the medium in the tank, and cleaned it of debris. I wiped down the filter housing and cleaned the impeller.

No other fish have died or appear sick, though the cory cats seems less lively than they used to.

I neglected to feed the pleco veggies, and haven't given him wafers for a while.

So I suspect a feeding issue. Either too little, not enough of the right food or too much brine.

Ideas?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
what kind of pleco did you have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store