Bottom Feeders for a hard water tropical...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.RoadWarrior

AC Members
May 23, 2019
Houston, TX
Setting up a small, hardwater tropical tank - 30gal, planted. Other fish are not selected yet.

My wife is putting her "creative input" in..I've managed to keep out the SpongeBob SquarePants pineapple house under the sea, but now she's pushing for dwarf bristlenose (ancistrus)...what say ye of knowledge? And yes, my LFS has them and they are probably raised in the same hard tap water I have.

Yeah or nay?

Thanks in advance....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Synodontis petricola (or lucipinus?) are smallish but like a group of 4+.

You're right, if the BNs are locally grown, they'll likely be ok. You can always ask the water parameters before buying 1. & have your home water tested too, it's usually free.

I think I asked before, what size is your 30g? Long, tall or breeder? That can make a big difference in "floor space" for bottom fish...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So it sounds like a "breeder" tank. I've never had 1 but it seems a nice shape.

I'm a loach nut but I've often been tempted by the small synodontis...maybe someday!

If you're tempted by loaches, sidthimunki & kuhlis are small & fun, but mostly like lowish pH...look at them, lol...but study before you buy any...they need to be in groups of 6+.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store