Box Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
Alright, got all the measurements down. The bigger box is going to be 5' by 8' with a height of 2' 8" and the smaller bog box is going to be 11' by 1', and 1' 8" tall. To my calculations, this comes out to about a thousand gallons, which should be plenty for my purposes. Now all I have to do is go to Home Depot and buy:

PT 4x4's: __1x6 Planks
6x 2' ______27x 2'8"
1x 9' ______26x 1'8"
3x 8' ______3x 8'
6x 1'
3x 11'
4x 5'

And that should do it. Do these calculations look right to anyone?

ampersand

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I think it's a good idea that you've routed the gutter under the pond. I was thinking that if there was a heavy rain there would be a lot of fast moving water coming out of the gutter which would disturb a lot of the life in the pond. Good luck with the build!

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
It turns out that my gutters are connected directly to my sewer lines. How cool is that? so I don't have to route anything. I went to Home Depot last night and picked up all the wood for my project, so here is what my box pond would look like (minus the liner, water, plants and fish) if you were to drop it off a tall building.

I'm going to start knocking it together tomorrow while I wait for everyone to show up and install utilities. God, I missed being able to build stuff. I'll update pictures as I make progress, for anyone who's interested (Pretty much just BoCoMo by my count) haha.

dirtydawg10

Severum Mafia Don
Sep 5, 2005
Connecticut
Looks like a cool idea. I would be a bit concerned about leaning it up against the house. I would leave it at least 6" away from the house. The pond may settle a bit with all that weight and only sitting on landscape pavers...and that's why I would keep it from touching the house.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
well, it turns out that it'll probably end up being a little farther away from the house than I originally intended. I messed up the construction of the 4x4 frame, and now it's too wide to fit in between the gutter and the opposite wall, so it'll be about what you recommended (5-6 inches) away from the house. The good thing is that I don't need to reroute the gutter anywhere, so it won't really have any major impact on the final construction, I'll just put another plank over the gap to make it look nicer. Here is the frame knocked together.

I'm going to start putting in the planks on the large one before I start to build the bog box, so I'll update pictures as I can, but for now, you can get a general idea of what it's going to look like because I put one of the planks in the corner.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
Making headway. Typical to any of my projects, I am making lots of mistakes in terms of knowing what I need and how I'm going to do it, but I am compensating for these as I go along with extra materials and good old fashioned imporvisation. As of today I think I have about 75% of this thing done. I finished putting the planks into the bigger part, and I put the frame for the bog box together, and I got the waterfall pretty much finished. My original frame was a little wobbly, but once those planks got nailed in it turned sturdy as a rock. All I need to do now is put the planks into the bog box, nail on the waterfall, and stain it all, and I'll be done with my woodwork. Unfortunately, I was talking to my new neighbors (very nice people, thank God) and they told me that I should probably notify the HOA and get approval for the pond, so before I put in the liner and the water and all the fun stuff, I'm going to wait on that approval, which could take a month or so. That's ok, though, because I still have a lot to figure out before I'm ready to do any of that as it is. Here are the pics as of tonight:

and here is the waterfall. I'm really pulling this thing out of the air, and you can tell how haphazard it is right now, but I was going for something a little irregular looking, and I think once I cover the whole thing in pond liner it'll look great. (I need to remember to cut off those stray nails before I add the liner) The only part of the wood that will show will be the one side, which just looks like 2 wooden planks. We shall see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store