briggs permit responce what the ****?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
Actually, after thinking about it, it somewhat worries me. The cheapest option for the USDA would probably be to remove permits and ban the invasive species altogether... Scary thought, considering how hard it is to get them now.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Actually, after thinking about it, it somewhat worries me. The cheapest option for the USDA would probably be to remove permits and ban the invasive species altogether... Scary thought, considering how hard it is to get them now.
I hope not. This is ridiculous especially as the P. diffusa never actually mows plants like most other species. Then again, you can always back up your claims for their alleged new regulations that do not require permits anymore which means the shipments will not be regulated at all for restrictions.

Bettacreek

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Central Pennsylvania
I hope not. This is ridiculous especially as the P. diffusa never actually mows plants like most other species. Then again, you can always back up your claims for their alleged new regulations that do not require permits anymore which means the shipments will not be regulated at all for restrictions.
I mean banning canas, haustrums, spixis, marisas, etc. If they're letting up on the bridgesii, who are not plant pests, then they might be doing so because they plan to crack down harder on the actual plant pests. It would make more sense, because they wouldn't have to inspect people who are breeding/selling non-pests. If they banned the others completely, then if they find some, they can confiscate them, euthanise them and be done. As it is now, they track them back to see where they came from, then if they're illegal, then they'll return to confiscate. The complete banning would eliminate the need to return, they could just take them, and move onto the source.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You guys are thinking too much about these shipping regulations.

Here's how it works. One year somebody wants a promotion/budget savings/ etc so they decide to eliminate a little wasteful procedure that is questionable as to it's necessity. A few years later we have an outbreak of one of the nasty species because of incorrect identification. The rule changes and somebody else gets a promotion/publicity for protecting the environment. Back and forth it goes every decade or so. Beaurocratic red tape at it's finest.

Now dealing with Phytosanitary requirements for international shipping make those silly little interstate permits look like child's play. I've got a package hung up in France right now because some idiot can't read EU regulations. I'm playing hardball with them using the USDA and some international trade agreements as a big stick to beat them with. I haven't heard a thing back in a week. I think somebody is trying to wait me out. (meanwhile I've sent 4 other packages the same way to France with no issues).

Two years ago in order to ship to Peru you needed to a numbered, signed, itemized invoice, formatted just the right way, an import permit, a letter from your doctor, and a picture of a good looking nurse. It helped to take the customs official out for a steak dinner at "nice" place. They got some crap from the international community (threatening to raise tariffs and/or ban products) and suddenly they are the nicest group to deal with around.

Meanwhile about 1 out of 25 packages come back at me for no real reason.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
You guys are thinking too much about these shipping regulations.

Here's how it works. One year somebody wants a promotion/budget savings/ etc so they decide to eliminate a little wasteful procedure that is questionable as to it's necessity. A few years later we have an outbreak of one of the nasty species because of incorrect identification. The rule changes and somebody else gets a promotion/publicity for protecting the environment. Back and forth it goes every decade or so. Beaurocratic red tape at it's finest.

Now dealing with Phytosanitary requirements for international shipping make those silly little interstate permits look like child's play. I've got a package hung up in France right now because some idiot can't read EU regulations. I'm playing hardball with them using the USDA and some international trade agreements as a big stick to beat them with. I haven't heard a thing back in a week. I think somebody is trying to wait me out. (meanwhile I've sent 4 other packages the same way to France with no issues).

Two years ago in order to ship to Peru you needed to a numbered, signed, itemized invoice, formatted just the right way, an import permit, a letter from your doctor, and a picture of a good looking nurse. It helped to take the customs official out for a steak dinner at "nice" place. They got some crap from the international community (threatening to raise tariffs and/or ban products) and suddenly they are the nicest group to deal with around.

Meanwhile about 1 out of 25 packages come back at me for no real reason.
You seem like you know a lot of the ins and outs of international plant shipping. By the sound of it, I'm sorry that you do lol. It sounds like hell.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
You seem like you know a lot of the ins and outs of international plant shipping. By the sound of it, I'm sorry that you do lol. It sounds like hell.
Shipping this stuff is just one of the more annoying parts of my job. If all fails my company has a few lawyers (based in France) on the payroll that specialize in this type of stuff. Once they stop playing with me I sic bad guys on them.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
wow go away for a day and miss the good new, i figure that since petsmart was selling them and they were going to sell to people from other states and couldn't stop them, ...i know i buy from the ohio stores a lot...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store