Building a full Setup...Part 1

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Well, just a quick update really...Weir fitted into the tank..Closed loop pump fitted and all outlets fitted inside the tank that will direct channels of water through the live rock..Cut the weir comb out of 5mm perspex...messy job that was with plastic shavings going into every nook and cranny....Sump light is fitted...Fused extention blocks fitted inside cabinet....

Looks like i am gonna be going for a full fill test on sunday, all being well....Fingers crossed me plumbing is right.....

Niko

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Well, a little update for you all...

Done a full fill test tonight..Results are...

1) Gurgling sound coming from the overflow bulhead
2) Slight leak on the ocean runner pump connector that is on the closed loop pipe work...

On issue 1....I think that my return pump is returning water too fast back to the tank..If i clamp the flexi hose slighty that is between the return pump and the hard pipe work the gurgling near enough dissapears...Do i put a ball valve on the return line to slow down the returning water??

Issue 2....Stop the leak....he he he he he

Niko

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
I would not slow the flow out of your return, instead you should put a T in the return line then a ball valve the exit that to your fuge. If you just restrict the flow out of the pump you will shorten it's life *** it will be trying harder to push the amount it is suposed to. with the ball valve it just diverts what you don't need.

If I sound like a babbleing idiot let me know and I will try to rephrase.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Hey JoJo...Cheers for that info mate..I shall drain some water out today and get that done somehow, will take a little jiggling around witht he return pipe work, but am sure i can accomodate it...

Once thats sorted and tested, its just going to be a case of drain everything, silicon seal a couple of leaks and then start getting ready for the big move on over on thursday...Main problem for me here is water storage as i am gonna be using 50 - 70% of the existing water from my FOWLR tank...Think the bath may come into use for this one...Fish will have plenty room to swim anyway while they are in the bath....he he he he

Niko

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great building thread. Thanks!

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
A few updated pics....

Niko

Ignore a load of pipes on one of the sump pictures..that was just some of the closed loop pipes put out of the way while i gave the display tank inside a last clean after i had fill tested it..

Took JoJo's advise of "T"ing off the sump return and putting on an extra pipe and ball valve to balance out the flow...

Fitted the weir comb i made out of perspex and fitted onto the weir...

Connected up the skimmer properly now ( it is just placed there in the pics )..

Washed all the new aragonite sand out last night..brought 60Lbs, should be enough as i am not have a very deep sandbed in the display..if it looks like i am gonna run out, i shall use some off the old system, washed loads in RO water...shall be using a few cups off the top of the old sand bed anyway to give the new bed some life......

Gallons and gallons ( well, ok, 70 Gallons ) of salt water...

Oh, and have ran into a problem with one of my metal halides..i broke the glass...Now trying to find some borosilicate glass....Turning into a right pain in the a**....

Roll on thursday....

Niko

Closed-Loop-Reducers.jpg Sump2.jpg Another-Sump.jpg Closed-Loop-Test.jpg Sump.jpg

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Lookin good bro.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
cheers matey...all finished really, couple of odds and ends to do tonight after Champions League football ( thats if the beer aint taken over me )..and i am good to go...

Thanks for the comments mate, much appreciated for the info on "T"ing the return...

Nio

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store