Building a tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rcilsick1

AC Members
Sep 28, 2013
I am brand new to the group and currently I teach high school biology and marine science. I am not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but let me give it a try.

What I want to do is create a 55 gallon tank that is roughly 48 inches tall x 12x20.

I have two 55 gallon tanks. One was leaking so I disassembled the panels and used the two end panels to make an ant farm with a grooved 2x4, which leaves me with the two sizes and bottom. What I want to do is to take the other 55 gallon tank (that does don't leak) and take off one of the ends (so that the now opened end becomes the top) I had good success with dissembling panes using a razor blade and braided fishing line. Once the end is off, I will take the bottom pane from the other tank and caulk it to the top (or side with the new orientation). I have a couple questions. First the bottom pane is not as thick as the sides on the tanks that I have, so with the bottom panes now being sides, will the panes be strong enough to withstand the pressure of the water. My second question is what is the best caulk for repaneling a tank.

Looking forward to some great advice

Ryan

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
I'd post your question in equipment/DIY. Though I have done some minor silicone work on my tanks, I have no experience crafting full aquariums so I wouldn't even want to start offering suggestions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store