Can i Use Well Water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
At the very least, get test strips. They are not as accurate, but are better than nothing. My thoughts are, mbuna and discus have drastically different needs in PH and hardness. You may be getting fish that are domestically bred to tolerate local water conditions, but that is not guaranteed. Try asking about it before you buy them. My mother in law successfully keeps discus alive for about 6 months with our local ph7.4 and slightly hard tap water (she seems to think thats a long time, and doesn't mind buying new fish twice a year despite me trying to convince her otherwise.) I think she does about monthly 1 gallon WCs on her 37 with 4-6 discus :nilly:

venugopal

AC Members
Sep 4, 2014
You don't seem to want to listen to good advice. you don't mention what fish you are keeping currently in your well water, nor do you mention if the discus are wild caught or how many generations from wild they are.

the problem with well water is that the parameters are changeable, depending what's going into the ground around you, and depending on how much it rains.

I just assume that the cost of Discus is trivial compared to that of a test kit in Bangalore; Good luck.
As I Said I Have Kept Mbuna and Few Bettas in Past which has bred well in the Same water, and the Discus are not Wild Caught Here in INDIA I Don Think I Would be Able to Acquire them,
Im Getting it From a Known Supplier here in INDIA ( BANGALORE )

and My Plan on Using Well Water is not to Do WC directly from The well I Would Store water in a Storage Tank which age it and Use it I think it Would be Enough,

Thank you for Valuable input and Sorry For Not Giving the Full Info in the Original Post,

venugopal

AC Members
Sep 4, 2014
At the very least, get test strips. They are not as accurate, but are better than nothing. My thoughts are, mbuna and discus have drastically different needs in PH and hardness. You may be getting fish that are domestically bred to tolerate local water conditions, but that is not guaranteed. Try asking about it before you buy them. My mother in law successfully keeps discus alive for about 6 months with our local ph7.4 and slightly hard tap water (she seems to think thats a long time, and doesn't mind buying new fish twice a year despite me trying to convince her otherwise.) I think she does about monthly 1 gallon WCs on her 37 with 4-6 discus :nilly:
yes that's a gud ide to Get the Test Strips
and Yes im getting the Domestically Bred Discus from a Known Supplier which I think will tolerate the local water Conditions,
thanks,

venugopal

AC Members
Sep 4, 2014
Order 2 Red cover, 2 red Melon, 1 Giant Flora and 1 Blue Diamond about 2.5" to 3" from a Know Supplier Will receive by Saturday Early Morning, Just Cant Hold Myself From Seeing them, and its Going to be a Bare Bottom Tank,,:headbang2::headbang2::nilly::nilly:

venugopal

AC Members
Sep 4, 2014
Got My Order Shipped in With A little Change in it instead of Red melon Giant Flora and Blue Diamond Got 2 red Map and 2 Red Spiders in Promised Size, have put them in ma 50 Gallon they Are Still Bit Shy But comes out only when there is Food, Has been Feeding them with Adult Artemia 4-5 times a day, dis WC once today about 80%.

Will Post the PICS once they Come out of Hiding.

What would be the best Food for them as I cant prepare Beef heart recipe in Home (We are a Little Orthodox) But instead of Beef Heart can I use Goat Heart?

Suggestions Please:

venugopal

AC Members
Sep 4, 2014
lol I was wondering about that. Don't know about goat heart, but I think bloodworms or brine shrimp are acceptable foods.
Blood Worms k But How to Keep Them Alive for a Long period of Time/ Can I feed the Blood worms after Freezing them,

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
did you check with the supplier/breeder to see how they do their water.
I say this as many breeders use large filters for their water and add back trace minerals as needed.
that said most Discus that are domestically bred are fine within a fairly large range of water conditions(tho discus tend to fare better with super clean water)

they , like most fish prefer live food but that is not without risk.Blood worms are the larval stage of midge files..meaning they will eventually turn into midges.
they can be frozen and fed..but if you are going to try and get live blood worms that also carries risks..for humans as well as the discus.

if you can get to simplydiscus.com you can get recipes for foods.. goat heart sans the fat should be fine.... fresh fish , shrimp etc are often used to make up foods for the discus keepers.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Soft water is only a needed for egg fertilization, the rest of the time harder water is beneficial to bone growth and other mineral needs the fish have. So if you are just growing the fish out you would only need to acclimate them to your water and keep it changed often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store